Real world Visibility question

On a nice day with good visibility ,at what altitude do you loose sight of a
2-lane road say a state highway?
Or put a different way if I want to use a road map to fly from point a to
point be what would be a reasonable altitude?

TEA
Wayne

Wayne wrote:

On a nice day with good visibility ,at what altitude do you loose sight
of a
2-lane road say a state highway?

I have had a visual on highways up to 12,000 ft AGL without a problem.
Cars and lane seem to disappear as you get higher, but the ribbon
representing the highway is definitely visible

> Or put a different way if I want to use a road map to fly from point
a to
> point be what would be a reasonable altitude?

Well, fly low enough and you can use the street signs. :)
Seriously, if you are flying a slow aircraft, you can stay low (below
1,000 AGL). However, if it is a faster aircraft, you would probably
want to fly between 1,000 and 5,000 feet AGL. The higher you go the
easier it is to see more topographical landmarks (lakes, roads,
mountains, etc).

--
Peter

Wayne wrote:

> Thanks Peter for the info I wasn't sure, when flying in the sim
around my
> local area I seem to loose site of even interstates at about 700 AGL.
So I
> guess the data is just incomplete or inaccurate.

What area are you flying over? For the US, there is a highly accurate
add-on called USA Roads that really improves the accuracy and volume of
roads/highways across the US. It is a must for anyone looking to use
roads as a navigational tool when flying over the US.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?category=scenery

--
Peter

"pr" <proffice@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> Wayne wrote:
>
> On a nice day with good visibility ,at what altitude do you loose sight
> of a
> 2-lane road say a state highway?
>
> I have had a visual on highways up to 12,000 ft AGL without a problem.
> Cars and lane seem to disappear as you get higher, but the ribbon
> representing the highway is definitely visible
>
>> Or put a different way if I want to use a road map to fly from point
> a to
>> point be what would be a reasonable altitude?
>
> Well, fly low enough and you can use the street signs. :)
> Seriously, if you are flying a slow aircraft, you can stay low (below
> 1,000 AGL). However, if it is a faster aircraft, you would probably
> want to fly between 1,000 and 5,000 feet AGL. The higher you go the
> easier it is to see more topographical landmarks (lakes, roads,
> mountains, etc).
>
> --
> Peter

Coastal NC. I know about that add on but I am a poor simmer have to make do
with what I can get for free, Thanks Anyway

"Wayne" <Spam_me_ not@NoSpam.net> wrote in message
> On a nice day with good visibility ,at what altitude do you loose sight of
> a 2-lane road say a state highway?
> Or put a different way if I want to use a road map to fly from point a to
> point be what would be a reasonable altitude?
>
> TEA
> Wayne

At a FAA Safety Seminar I attended a few months ago, THE gentleman from NACO
who is responsible for aeronautical charts told us that sectionals are
scaled and drawn to be used from an optimal altitude of 9000-10,000' msl.

This framework also tends to dictate which details are included and which
are omitted from sectionals.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ