Last response: in Motherboards
February 26, 2006 5:37:14 PM

System Specs:

Intel 945 P mobo w/ Pent D 920 w/ Zalman 9500
2 gig Corsair Value ram (533 ddr2)
Seagate 250 gb 7200.8 SATA(1.5) HD
eVGA 6800 gs vid card
NEC dvdburner, Lite on cdrw
Soundblaster Live sound card (hoping to get an xtreme music soon)
XClio 450 watt PSU

Ok. Computer appears to work fine (i don't oc cpu). However occasionally i hear this distinct click come from inside my computer. Call me crazy, but it just doesn't sound normal, and is rather annoying. It sounds as if something is being "triggered" inside. Its not so frequent that that i can open my case and wait for to pinpoint the noise from a specific component. Sometimes i won't hear it for a day, and some times ill hear it twice in 5 minutes.

I feel like it happens much more frequently when im downloading stuff. Like if im downloading something thru bittorrent and websurfing all at once.

Last week i also experienced 2 system crashes about 5 days apart, not during intense stuff either (once booting up HL, once 5 minutes after quitting CS and clicking on the taskbar to see what the date was whilst surfing the web)

I read some other posts on forums and followed some advice. I ran memtest 86 and windows diagnostic. Memtest passed 12 times no errors, and i only ran windows diagnostic mem test once (it passed). So it doesn't seem to be a memory issue. I also defaulted my video card from 485/1.07 to 425/1, to see if perhaps it was an OC issue. I haven't experienced another crash yet, but then again its only been about 3 days. I also turned off onboard sound in the bios, and unchecked auto reboot on crash in windows.

I don't know if the two issues are related. I've heard about clicking harddrives, but i don't know if thats a persistent/frequent noise or an irregular one like mine. My HD doesn't making other crazy noises, everything seems normal except for this occasional click. If anyone can offer me insight about hard drive clicking/failure that'd be great.

Do fans "click" on and off? Do mobos click?

I'm probably posting this in the wrong place as well, if thats an issue let me know.

More about : clicking noise hear

February 26, 2006 5:55:39 PM

Sounds like the click of death.

most likely means that you got a head smacking against the platter inside your HD.
February 26, 2006 6:07:08 PM

yep hard drive going out. replace hard drive
Related resources
February 26, 2006 6:07:41 PM

actually it MAY be your PSU iv heard some PSU's make clicking noises becasue the fan hits the sid eor something
February 26, 2006 6:12:16 PM

You can hope its a cable touching a fan ocassionally, if not, its probably the hard drive
February 26, 2006 6:21:44 PM

More likely it's the hard drive. If the clicking starts evertime you load or run a program then its the hd. Better get another one and back it up before it breaks down and loose all your file. :D 
February 26, 2006 7:39:48 PM

Too some extent im almost gonna take this as good news. Odd as that may sound, its better to know what the problem is than not know and pay the consquences.

Anyways, my computer is new, so its not like i have alot of important documents (although there is somestuff i wouldn't mind backing up). Ill grab some DVDs and make some backups.

Should i call Seagate and tell them my HD is making noises and it might be crashing??? and see what they say? Should i run their utility first? Considering its new I know its still under warranty.
February 26, 2006 8:08:20 PM

Make sure that it is none of your fans, then call seagate and get a new one, back all you stuff up first, nothing worse than having to recover stuff from a hdd that is broken, it is next to impossible.
February 26, 2006 8:09:33 PM

if it is from the hd, you can tell by listening to it during write/read functions. it will get worse to the point is all it does is click and click. you might see lag during the clicks(like when loading large game maps) in the end you will get a none boot error/ nodrive.

i had this happen to me a few months back. first it was just a few clicks now and then. thought nothing of it. then it would happen more and more to the point it was clicking all the time finaly it dumped and i got the error INDEXING failure. press to continue to windows i would and it worked a few more days. it all ended when it would not boot, post would say "no hard drive found" it was dead no more clicks. the good thing well i got 2 raptors and put them in raid0. wow windows boots after post in about 3 seconds, before it was like 30 seconds. someone said " the click of death"
February 27, 2006 12:47:47 AM

OK it crashed again today with the following message message on the blue screen:

***STOP: 0X0000007E (OXC0000005,0X8050990B,0XBAD13CB0,0XBAD139AC)

upon restart, i sent the report to windows, and they said something was caused by an improper device driver.

THe only real drivers im running are Forceware, mobo....the norm. Is this conclusive of an HD problem, or could it be something else.
February 27, 2006 1:05:58 AM

From the symptoms it sounds like the hard drive did not read a piece of data, and lets say that data was some piece of a driver file. There is that error. try and save data you cannot replace and install a different or new hard drive!
February 27, 2006 1:12:07 AM

Quote:
the good thing well i got 2 raptors and put them in raid0. wow windows boots after post in about 3 seconds, before it was like 30 seconds. someone said " the click of death"

i would highly recomend aganist doing raid 0 because if you lose one hard drive then you lose all your data. Infact with the faster raptors i would want to keep it in raid 1 because the raptors spin faster theres more of a chance for a problem.
February 27, 2006 1:23:05 AM

OK my plan from here is this:

1) back up stuff (which thankfully isn't a whole lot, as this is a newer computer and i don't have alot of important files at the moment that i can't reinstall from another source)

2) run seagates drive diagnostic (just to see what it says), hopefully it will say something is wrong.

3) call seagate and try to get them to send me a new drive, as mine is still under warranty.
February 27, 2006 1:23:07 AM

I agree RAID 0 is VERY risky.

In fact RAID 0 gets riskier as you add drives.

With N drives it is N times more likely to fail, so if you have 4 drives it is 4 times more likely to break.
February 27, 2006 1:25:15 AM

that would be the click of death sorry man maybe you could get another one and put it in raid 1 so you dont lose any data
March 12, 2006 2:05:26 PM

ok, so its been awhile, and i still heard some more clickings but the computer didnt crash....until today, about 2 weeks from the previous.

So i ran the Seagate utilities.

The first thing i noticed is that it detected 2 drives. Well it displayed 2 drives that i could select at least. The seagate (with s/n) 250gb, and then an "unknown" bios drive 250 gb NTFS (or something like that). Don't really know whats going on there, as i only have 1 seagate drive. But for some reason i feel like the unknown drive is the one that my computer recognizes, as its formatted in NTFS etc.

Anyways, i ran a quick test and a file structure test. The quick physical test passed (ill do a more detailed one at another time). The file structure test failed with "at least one error in index" and "at least one error in metadata file". What does this mean and could it be the reason for my occasional blue screens? Thanks guys
March 12, 2006 2:55:17 PM

Since you're waiting so long, I'd start backing up important files to cd/dvd asap! I don't think your drives gonna last much longer.
March 12, 2006 3:02:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the click of death.

most likely means that you got a head smacking against the platter inside your HD.

there is a reason why it's called the click of death!

back up as much as you can and get a new HD.
March 12, 2006 3:38:02 PM

thing is...i don't hear ANY clicking during chkdisks/diagnostics...wouldnt that be an HD intensive process that would cause lots of clicking...anyways, enough with the back-up recommendations....10 posts say to do that, and like i said...i have little to back up (and ive already backed it up). What i want to know about is the file system errors and what that means.
March 12, 2006 3:59:02 PM

whats the other type of hard drive
you have one seagate open your case up and check the other hd maker then go download that companys hd test tool and check the unknown disk.
next time you set up raid use raid 1 not 0 its a heck of a lot safer....
March 12, 2006 4:00:48 PM

There's also been 10 posts saying it's your hard drive going bad silly.
Have you opened up your case to see if anything is hitting a fan, or kept
the side off your case while using it so when it begins to click you can
pin-point where it's coming from?

NTFS is 'New Technology File System' which is what XP uses. The clicking
is most likely the platters in the hard drive touching inside the hard drive
case itself every once in awhile. A sign it's gone bad, soon for good, if that in fact is where your clicks are coming from. A drive going bad will give you blue screen crashes from time to time, until it dies for good.
March 12, 2006 4:04:28 PM

when you get a BSOD write the name of the error down...

Like Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area or PFN_list_corrupt or whatever the error is.

you can also write down the numbers but you probably won't need them.

After you got the name of the error then google it. You'll find out more than you ever care to know about it. That information should point you in the right direction to finding the culprit.
March 12, 2006 5:52:17 PM

Quote:
System Specs:

Seagate 250 gb 7200.8 SATA(1.5) HD

I don't know if the two issues are related. I've heard about clicking harddrives, but i don't know if thats a persistent/frequent noise or an irregular one like mine. My HD doesn't making other crazy noises, everything seems normal except for this occasional click. If anyone can offer me insight about hard drive clicking/failure that'd be great.

I think your clicking is from your hard drive. I have used many Seagate 250GB SATA drives and for some reason that specific drive has some issues. I have had 4 250GB Seagate SATA (1.5Gb/s) fail. All 4 drives seemed to click before final failure.

Seagate makes some very good drives but that 250GB SATA drive is not their best 8O

How old is your drive :?: You should have a 5 year warranty. Seagate's warranty is very good and pretty fast.

Hope this helps :wink:
March 12, 2006 6:22:51 PM

I too have had a large number of 7200.8 drives fail apparently many 7200.8 models have issues.

Was yours in fact a 7200.8?
March 12, 2006 6:28:20 PM

Quote:
I too have had a large number of 7200.8 drives fail apparently many 7200.8 models have issues.

Yes: Model # ST3250823AS :oops: 
March 12, 2006 7:47:08 PM

Quote:

Yes: Model # ST3250823AS :oops: 

I was afraid of that :-(

:cry: 
March 12, 2006 10:14:31 PM

OK.

So i ran a windows chkdsk. Ran the Seagate diagnostic again, and the critical error found this time was only in the "metadata file records". Then i ran the full diagnostic (took like 4 hours). I would like to say at this point, that during chkdsk and diagnostics i DID NOT HEAR clicking. I find this odd, you would think during a HD intensive diagnostic...youd hear the clicking.

Anyways like i said, no physical errors were found...only an error in the metadata file records (during the file structure test).

Also, i said the clicking is not persistent...once now, maybe 15 minutes later maybe 10 hours later....so opening the case and putting my ear to it is isn't the answer. Its like a "triggering" sound, that happens pretty infrequently...but doesn't sound right.

As for the crash/error earlier. I forget exactly what it was called. BAD_PULL_ERROR or something like that....bad something...

Yes my HD is a 7200.8...

As for fans/cables hitting each other. My zalman and video card are well protected from cabels ( i have duct taped most of the cables out of the way). I can't see inside the Power supply....soim not sure if fans are hitting cables there.

Are there other devices that can click....almost the sound of taking paper clip/bobby pin/ and flicking it against metal or something...to things on the mobo trigger on and off?

Also...ive run 3 different mem tests and each has passed (including memtest86 for 8 hours)
March 12, 2006 10:17:41 PM

Correction: Bad_Pull_Caller was the type of error
March 13, 2006 5:09:34 AM

Well I have had tons of 7200.8 drives fail me and others are saying the same thing so it seems a lot of 7200.8's are having issues.

I'm not sure what to tell you -- except that your drive could suffer a catastrophic failure at any moment.

The drive could go on working for a few more months or it could die tomorrow it is impossible to predict that.

I would urge you to preemptively replace it with a WD2500KS $94 @ newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

or with 7200.9 which seem to be better drives but please do not quote me on that I haven't used any yet

The WD is cheaper tho and has a 16MB buffer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Do not get a maxtor.

Seagate's SCSI drives are GREAT by the way -- but all drives fail.
September 23, 2011 3:39:45 AM

Yeah, this is a thousand years old in internet years, but describes exactly what I have going on. The click comes once one day, then maybe a week later. Never more than one at a time. Never more than twice a day.
Ran all kinds of tests on the hard drive and they all say it's fine and wonderful and magnificent. I had a failed hard drive in a different system. I've heard the click of death. This sounds more like it's coming through the speakers.
In summary, if you're still around, did you ever find out what it was, or just get a new drive just-in-case?
!