Where to find PocketPC Docmentation

September 26, 2004 11:40:50 PM

Ok, another dumb question...

Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for pocketPC?

PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
Pocket Outlook
Pocket Excel
Pocket Word

I can find nothing useful on www.microsoft.com. windows, windowmobile,
msdn, etc.

Plenty plenty plenty plenty fluff and ad copy about why windows mobile is
the greatest thing since, well, since whatever...

And a very limited amount of "help & how to" barely more than "how do I turn
this thing on" intro.

Either it's not there, or I just can't figure out how to get microsoft's
website search function to actually cough up relevant links.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction to get started.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:03:40 AM

Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)

Buy a book.

There are a couple in the Dummies series.

"MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, another dumb question...
>
> Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for pocketPC?
>
> PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
> Pocket Outlook
> Pocket Excel
> Pocket Word
>

> I can find nothing useful on www.microsoft.com. windows, windowmobile,
> msdn, etc.
>
> Plenty plenty plenty plenty fluff and ad copy about why windows mobile is
> the greatest thing since, well, since whatever...
>
> And a very limited amount of "help & how to" barely more than "how do I
turn
> this thing on" intro.
>
> Either it's not there, or I just can't figure out how to get microsoft's
> website search function to actually cough up relevant links.
>

> Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction to get started.

September 27, 2004 5:03:41 AM

Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you put
into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in written
words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after you,
"AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all your
help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.

Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause I'm
running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to post
again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might instead
point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?

Is that how this newsgroup works?

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)
>
> Buy a book.
>
> There are a couple in the Dummies series.

> "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, another dumb question...
>>
>> Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for pocketPC?
>>
>> PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
>> Pocket Outlook
>> Pocket Excel
>> Pocket Word
>>

>> I can find nothing useful on www.microsoft.com. windows, windowmobile,
>> msdn, etc.
>>
>> Plenty plenty plenty plenty fluff and ad copy about why windows mobile is
>> the greatest thing since, well, since whatever...
>>
>> And a very limited amount of "help & how to" barely more than "how do I
> turn
>> this thing on" intro.
>>
>> Either it's not there, or I just can't figure out how to get microsoft's
>> website search function to actually cough up relevant links.
>>

>> Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction to get started.

September 27, 2004 5:03:42 AM

> Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you put
> into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in
written
> words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after you,
> "AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all your
> help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.
>
> Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause I'm
> running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to post
> again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might instead
> point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?
>
> Is that how this newsgroup works?

No, not all of are as surly and unhelpful as AlanS.

He seems to have a permanent case of burning hemorrhoids
and really only offers useful information in about 1 of 10 cases-
you can go back through this NG if you want to check for yourself.

His particular pet peeve, which we've called him on many
times, it to jump all over developers who post here announcing
a new program they've written, but then do not give a price,
preferring to provide a link to a site from which more info
and pricing is available. He seems to think those folks are
the Devil incarnate or something.

You might want to start here:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_top/bestsites.asp

and, additionally, go to www.brighthand.com and join
the user forum. Lots of good posts and info from users
there.

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)
> >
> > Buy a book.
> >
> > There are a couple in the Dummies series.
>

> > "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok, another dumb question...
> >>
> >> Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for
pocketPC?

> >> PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
> >> Pocket Outlook
> >> Pocket Excel
> >> Pocket Word
> >>

> >> I can find nothing useful on www.microsoft.com. windows, windowmobile,
> >> msdn, etc.
> >>
> >> Plenty plenty plenty plenty fluff and ad copy about why windows mobile
is
> >> the greatest thing since, well, since whatever...
> >>
> >> And a very limited amount of "help & how to" barely more than "how do I
> > turn
> >> this thing on" intro.
> >>
> >> Either it's not there, or I just can't figure out how to get
microsoft's
> >> website search function to actually cough up relevant links.
> >>

> >> Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction to get
started.

September 27, 2004 12:05:07 PM

Gosh ... I don't get it. There really is a book series for various
different technologies "SUBJECT for Dummies". I don't think the response
was intended to be offensive.

"MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you put
> into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in
> written words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after
> you, "AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all
> your help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.
>
> Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause I'm
> running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to post
> again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might instead
> point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?
>
> Is that how this newsgroup works?
>

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)
>>
>> Buy a book.
>>
>> There are a couple in the Dummies series.
>

>> "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ok, another dumb question...
>>>
>>> Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for
>>> pocketPC?
>>>
>>> PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
>>> Pocket Outlook
>>> Pocket Excel
>>> Pocket Word
>>>

>>> I can find nothing useful on www.microsoft.com. windows, windowmobile,
>>> msdn, etc.
>>>
>>> Plenty plenty plenty plenty fluff and ad copy about why windows mobile
>>> is
>>> the greatest thing since, well, since whatever...
>>>
>>> And a very limited amount of "help & how to" barely more than "how do I
>> turn
>>> this thing on" intro.
>>>
>>> Either it's not there, or I just can't figure out how to get microsoft's
>>> website search function to actually cough up relevant links.
>>>

>>> Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction to get started.

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:30:28 PM

There are books in the Dummies series, did you bother looking? You'll find
they do what you asked for. Why not look?

If you want me to go to my nearest PC World, buy the books, then send them
to you I'm sorry. It is you that wants the help- look in your bookstores or
search amazon yourself to find more about these titles that fulfil those
needs you gave.

"MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you put
> into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in
written
> words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after you,
> "AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all your
> help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.
>
> Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause I'm
> running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to post
> again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might instead
> point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?
>
> Is that how this newsgroup works?
>

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)
> >
> > Buy a book.
> >
> > There are a couple in the Dummies series.
>

> > "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok, another dumb question...
> >>
> >> Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for
pocketPC?

> >> PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
> >> Pocket Outlook
> >> Pocket Excel
> >> Pocket Word
> >>

> >> I can find nothing useful on www.microsoft.com. windows, windowmobile,
> >> msdn, etc.
> >>
> >> Plenty plenty plenty plenty fluff and ad copy about why windows mobile
is
> >> the greatest thing since, well, since whatever...
> >>
> >> And a very limited amount of "help & how to" barely more than "how do I
> > turn
> >> this thing on" intro.
> >>
> >> Either it's not there, or I just can't figure out how to get
microsoft's
> >> website search function to actually cough up relevant links.
> >>

> >> Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction to get
started.

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:45:03 PM

imho, the best way to get started is to use the ppc's help system.

The ppc help is context sensitive, so start excel or word and tap
start/help and you have the basis for making progress, pull a menu or
option page and do the same and the help will (should ;-) relate to the
specific location.

pWord and pExcel are comparatively limited but functionally the same
interfaces as the desktop versions, so any text for desktop versions
will provide good information as well including the desktop help systems.

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
September 27, 2004 3:47:47 PM

Thank you again for sharing your immense wisdom.

However I do not recall asking you to buy a book and send it to me. Did I?

Nor do I remember asking about books at all. Did I?

I don't ask questions for things I already know.

I ask questions for things I do not know.

I know how to find books. So I didn't ask about books.

I don't know where to find information that may be available online
somewhere.

On a hunch, I thought there might be a remote chance that people frequenting
microsoft.public.pocketpc just might know that sort of thing.

Am I off base here? Am I in the wrong newsgroup?

I'm thinking microsoft.public.pocketpc is the correct place to ask questions
regarding online information about microsoft pocketpc. But hey, correct me
if I'm wrong.

In the meantime, I still haven't asked anything about books.

Thank you again for your wisdom. I sit in agony awaiting the time that must
pass before I shall again get the opportunity to read your finely crafted
words.

> There are books in the Dummies series, did you bother looking? You'll find
> they do what you asked for. Why not look?
>
> If you want me to go to my nearest PC World, buy the books, then send them
> to you I'm sorry. It is you that wants the help- look in your bookstores
> or
> search amazon yourself to find more about these titles that fulfil those
> needs you gave.
>

> "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you put
>> into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in
> written
>> words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after you,
>> "AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all your
>> help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.
>>
>> Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause
>> I'm
>> running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to post
>> again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might instead
>> point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?
>>
>> Is that how this newsgroup works?
>>

>> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)
>> >
>> > Buy a book.
>> >
>> > There are a couple in the Dummies series.
>>

>> > "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> pocketPC?

> is

>> > turn

> microsoft's

> started.

September 27, 2004 3:47:57 PM

He's an idiot.

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Gosh ... I don't get it. There really is a book series for various
> different technologies "SUBJECT for Dummies". I don't think the response
> was intended to be offensive.
>

> "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you put
>> into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in
>> written words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after
>> you, "AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all
>> your help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.
>>
>> Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause
>> I'm running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to
>> post again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might
>> instead point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?
>>
>> Is that how this newsgroup works?
>>

>> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)
>>>
>>> Buy a book.
>>>
>>> There are a couple in the Dummies series.
>>

>>> "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> turn

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 8:44:36 PM

in article ZrI5d.35504$aW5.34359@fed1read07, MJ at
I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com wrote on 9/26/04 6:40 PM:

> Ok, another dumb question...
>
> Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for pocketPC?
>
> PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
> Pocket Outlook
> Pocket Excel
> Pocket Word

Microsoft actually has quite a lot of help info on their web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/default.msp...

Did you try this area of their site? I was impressed with the amount of
content.

Jim
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 10:15:08 PM

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Gosh ... I don't get it. There really is a book series for various
> different technologies "SUBJECT for Dummies". I don't think the response
> was intended to be offensive.

Yes it was.

Review AlanS's other recent "contributions"
to this NG.

> "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you
put
> > into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in
> > written words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after
> > you, "AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all
> > your help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.
> >
> > Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause
I'm
> > running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to post
> > again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might instead
> > point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?
> >
> > Is that how this newsgroup works?
> >

> > "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Go to a bookstore. (or amazon)
> >>
> >> Buy a book.
> >>
> >> There are a couple in the Dummies series.
> >

> >> "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> turn

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 10:53:58 PM

I hope you feel happy, you didn't say you didn't want to spend money. The
solution offered *is* a solution.

> Thank you again for sharing your immense wisdom.
>
> However I do not recall asking you to buy a book and send it to me. Did I?
>
> Nor do I remember asking about books at all. Did I?
>
> I don't ask questions for things I already know.
>
> I ask questions for things I do not know.
>
> I know how to find books. So I didn't ask about books.
>
> I don't know where to find information that may be available online
> somewhere.
>
> On a hunch, I thought there might be a remote chance that people
frequenting
> microsoft.public.pocketpc just might know that sort of thing.
>
> Am I off base here? Am I in the wrong newsgroup?
>
> I'm thinking microsoft.public.pocketpc is the correct place to ask
questions
> regarding online information about microsoft pocketpc. But hey, correct me
> if I'm wrong.
>
> In the meantime, I still haven't asked anything about books.
>
> Thank you again for your wisdom. I sit in agony awaiting the time that
must
> pass before I shall again get the opportunity to read your finely crafted
> words.
>

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > There are books in the Dummies series, did you bother looking? You'll
find
> > they do what you asked for. Why not look?
> >
> > If you want me to go to my nearest PC World, buy the books, then send
them
> > to you I'm sorry. It is you that wants the help- look in your bookstores
> > or
> > search amazon yourself to find more about these titles that fulfil those
> > needs you gave.
> >

> > "MJ" <I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks, I really really really appreciate all the effort and time you
put
> >> into your reply. No, really, I appreciate it more than I can say in
> > written
> >> words. I am now seriously considering naming my next born after you,
> >> "AlanS." Yeah, that's it, that's what I'll do. Thanks again for all
your
> >> help and brilliant insight. I never would've thought of that.
> >>
> >> Oh, and btw, while I'm out tracking down and buying more books ('cause
> >> I'm
> >> running out to do that right now), do you think maybe if I were to post
> >> again asking where I could books, someone (maybe even you) might
instead
> >> point out where related websites could be found? Do you think?
> >>
> >> Is that how this newsgroup works?
> >>

> >> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> > pocketPC?

> > is

> > microsoft's

> > started.

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:23:05 PM

I have to agree with Ann, and AlanS.

The real problem here is that you are both rude and impatient. AlanS
offered you *a* solution to your question. It was both accurate and to the
point, sure he could have said that he didn't know of any online documents
but here is a book. You did not have the patience to wait for others to
reply with *other* solutions. Instead you dove into a childish tirade. A
simpler and more effective solution would have been to say something like
"Thank you, do you know of any free online documents?"

You owe AlanS and the rest of us an apology.

--
Mort
September 28, 2004 4:03:25 PM

I have to disagree with you.

Alan is indeed an idiot. An obnoxious one at that.

Alan owes me an apology.

I did consider the possibility that some people might view my response to
him as you seem to have here. So, being new here, before I replied to Alan,
I did a search on his posts to try to get more of an impression of him. Was
he a smartass or a respected poster? After reviewing a few dozen of his
posts, I decided to take opinion that he is indeed a frequent poster who may
occasionally offer relevant advice, but is undoubtedly a smartass. Therefore
even at the risk of reflecting poorly on myself, I decided to treat him as
such.

If Alan did not have an answer to my question, I did not expect him to post
a reply saying he didn't have an answer. I would have expected him to simply
pass and not reply at all.

I am new to pocketpc. I am not new to MS windows, MS office, searching help
files, searching msdn, etc.

I am already in possession of an obnoxiously large library of reference
books. Going all the way back to 2.0 versions of DOS and up to thru and
including the current versions of windows, office, .NET, etc. Most of
which, as anyone in possession of this sort of library knows, is hideously
expensive and rapidly obsoleted. Adding to it is not something I need to
ask a newsgroup about.

I ALREADY KNOW how to find and books and dig the information out of them
that I need. I didn't need (or want) some smartass to come along and say
"buy a book." That's really impressive. Do you REALLY consider that "A
SOLUTION?" You've gotta be kidding me. 'Cause if you do, that's a mighty
interesting reflection on you.

I tried to pose my initial question here as a humble newbie (which I am) to
this particular topic. pocketpc.

What I don't know, at the risk of repeating myself, is where ON THE WEB
reference material may be found. And that is what I asked.

Thank you Mort. Your input on this matter has been very much appreciated.

"Mort Pugh" <mpugh@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have to agree with Ann, and AlanS.
>
> The real problem here is that you are both rude and impatient. AlanS
> offered you *a* solution to your question. It was both accurate and to
> the
> point, sure he could have said that he didn't know of any online documents
> but here is a book. You did not have the patience to wait for others to
> reply with *other* solutions. Instead you dove into a childish tirade. A
> simpler and more effective solution would have been to say something like
> "Thank you, do you know of any free online documents?"
>
> You owe AlanS and the rest of us an apology.
>
> --
> Mort

September 28, 2004 4:28:15 PM

Thank you Beverly.

Yes, I have indeed scoured the onboard help rather thoroughly. While it is
reasonably context sensitive, it only seems to provide the most basic of
information.

I have been a Palm user for years and have recently decided to switch and
try pocketpc.

What I am specifically looking for is documentation of the limitations and
differences between Excel and pExcel. I'm thinking it has to be out there
somewhere, that it's just a matter of finding it.

I have to admit I am at this point rather stunned surprised and disappointed
that I have not been able to find this information anywhere searching
Microsoft windowsmobile, Microsoft msdn (maybe I'm spoiled, I've grown
accustomed to being able to find damn near anything on msdn), and even
Google.

message news:uUXFXFLpEHA.1900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> imho, the best way to get started is to use the ppc's help system.
>
> The ppc help is context sensitive, so start excel or word and tap
> start/help and you have the basis for making progress, pull a menu or
> option page and do the same and the help will (should ;-) relate to the
> specific location.
>
> pWord and pExcel are comparatively limited but functionally the same
> interfaces as the desktop versions, so any text for desktop versions will
> provide good information as well including the desktop help systems.
>
> hth,
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
September 28, 2004 4:33:31 PM

Thanks Jim.

Yes, I have searched the windowsmobile help section extensively. If it's
there, I haven't been able to find the information I am looking for.

"Jim Karpen-PPC mag" <jim_karpen@pocketpcmag.com> wrote in message
> in article ZrI5d.35504$aW5.34359@fed1read07, MJ at
> I244cXE7uxKB3LOR@hotmail.com wrote on 9/26/04 6:40 PM:
>
>> Ok, another dumb question...
>>
>> Can someone point me to where I can find real documentation for pocketPC?
>>
>> PocketPC 2003 Prem Phone Edition
>> Pocket Outlook
>> Pocket Excel
>> Pocket Word
>>
> Microsoft actually has quite a lot of help info on their web site.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/default.msp...
>
> Did you try this area of their site? I was impressed with the amount of
> content.
>
> Jim

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:42:24 PM

>> limitations of pexcel <<

That has been posted on independant sites... in addition to a google
search, would suggest searching chris's site at http://www.cewindows.net

I am sure someone will respond to this thread with an exact address in
the next day or so.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:21:09 AM

But I notice that you did not disagree that you are both rude and impatient,
or that you are too prone to start into childish tirades. And I did not
disagree with your statements about Alan, only about Alan's suggestion.

All I said was that your statements could have been more effective if you
did not go into a childish tirade, which you did again.

--
Mort
September 29, 2004 3:37:10 AM

> But I notice that you did not disagree that you are both rude and
> impatient,
> or that you are too prone to start into childish tirades. And I did not
> disagree with your statements about Alan, only about Alan's suggestion.
>
> All I said was that your statements could have been more effective if you
> did not go into a childish tirade, which you did again.
>
> --
> Mort

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 4:36:26 AM

You have two options:

1. Paper version of:
MCGraw-Hill Osborne How To Do Everything With Your iPAQ Pocket
PC, 2nd edition.
MCGraw-Hill Osborne How To Do Everything With Your PocketPC,
3rd edition.

2. Ebooks in PDF format:
Do a search in a newsgroup ".....e-book.technical" for two
postings made by "KLined" 42 days ago.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:40:50 -0400, "MJ"

!