Sign in with
Your question

"Reinstalling" Windows 7 OEM on a new mobo

Last response: in Windows 7
March 30, 2011 3:34:03 AM

I'm deeply regretting backing the wrong horse by going with an AMD rig, and I would very much like to rectify the mistake by selling off my mobo and CPU and going for a... shall we say, a River Crossing that wouldn't go amiss at a Beach.

About the only thing holding me back is the fact that I need to figure out how to install my OEM copy of Windows 7 on the new mobo, or rather get it to work. Since it would be on the HDD, would I basically install the new mobo, Windows 7 would still work, but then I would need to re-register it?

I know that it's technically not allowed to reuse an OEM version of Windows 7, so don't go off about that.
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2011 7:03:01 AM

You won't be able to reactivate Windows without calling Microsft. And I doubt they'll play ball with such a big change in hardware. Factor the cost of a new OS in; and if you're likely to upgrade again, don't go for an OEM version this time. For your requirements it's a false economy.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2011 3:24:08 PM

first is this a generic oEM version or is it a "dell", or other branded OEM Version
If generic OEM then you would have to delete from old system, or pull old HDD and put in new system (still requires a re-install., from there it's a 50/50 on whether you have to call uSoft. Although not totally ethical, they may be in a good mood. If you are "pitching" the old system - it died verses being unhappy. If you are selling your old system, then yes you should by a new copy.
m
l
!