can't uninstall current driver for evga 7800gt

warthogg

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
i want to upgrade driver so trying to uninstall current driver according to instructions i get the following message: failure to uninstall, device may be used to boot computer.

Any suggestions as to how i can get around this. I do not have a different card which i can install and use to uninstall the current setup, possibly the easiest and safest route to handle this.

please help. :cry:

kerriritter

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
change the graphics driver to a simple vga driver in windows - just standard vga driver and then restart your computer.

it will look all weird and awful at 640x480 but then go into control panel and remove your nvidia drivers thru the add/remove program section. being paranoid myself, i would once again reboot after the uninstall.

now when you are back in, you should be able to install your new nvidia drivers without problem.

warthogg

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
tried it and all of the above except for the driver cleaner app which requires an uninstall first but no success. Even tried rolling back, selecting myself, and still can't uninstall. I am thinking i should start deleting nvidia dlls in system32 folder and force the os to put up some options :evil: I never thought a graphics card could lock up a system like this.

warthogg

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I HATE NVIDIA. SUPPORTS $300+ CARDS WITH POS SOFTWARE DRIVERS AND SETUPS. :evil:

But thanks to TG forumz and super posters like flyguy, i got my problems solved. THANKS Flyguy. I love you, man. I mean that (in a wholesome way,that is :oops: ) :lol:

I should mention that this was an eVGA card and it was the evga version of upgrade set up. So if anyone is installing using the evga set up, careful...
WHEW! I started with a corrupt pci.sys file at the outset to an ununinstallable driver and now everything is smooth sailing. I think i'll send some money to the drivercleanerPro website just for the hell of it! 8)