Can routing table be overruled?

Hi VPN experts,

For connecting to my employers network I use Intel Netstructure VPN Client.
The tunnel my employer prepared for me sets a machine in the companies'
network as the default gateway. That has the effect that I can not access
other subnets in my private network.

Questions:

Is it possible (on windows 2000) to permanently overrule the routing table
set by Netstructure VPN to set my local router as the default gateway? (If
I do that by hand, it is immediatly reset by the VPN client.)

Another solution might be to run a process on my machine that has other
routing settings and use process to run a proxy server. Is it possible to
have multiple processes running different routing tables (on windows 2000)?

Possible other solutions?

Thanks,

-- Carel

Carel schrieb:
> Hi VPN experts,
>
> For connecting to my employers network I use Intel Netstructure VPN Client.
> The tunnel my employer prepared for me sets a machine in the companies'
> network as the default gateway. That has the effect that I can not access
> other subnets in my private network.

That's as it should be.

> Questions:
>
> Is it possible (on windows 2000) to permanently overrule the routing table
> set by Netstructure VPN to set my local router as the default gateway? (If
> I do that by hand, it is immediatly reset by the VPN client.)

If the client is coded properly, You should have no chance of doing that.

> Another solution might be to run a process on my machine that has other
> routing settings and use process to run a proxy server. Is it possible to
> have multiple processes running different routing tables (on windows 2000)?

Hopefully not.

> Possible other solutions?

You should be aware of a few things:

The moment yout tunnel is established, your pc is part of your
employer's network. To prevent You from compromising your employer's
network the vpn client must make sure that only your pc and no other
device on your local network has access to your employer's network.

Imagine another pc on your local network having an unprotected internet
connection open can abuse your pc with the vpn tunnel open (with or
without your knowledge) to send viruses, trojan horses or worse into
your employer's network bypassing that network's firewall completely!

--

Martin Bodenstedt

www.maboko de / www.die-bodenstedts.de