MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Pengwin, if you want to get the Dual Opties, get:

This Motherboard
This CPU
This Heatsink/Fan
This RAM (2 sticks)
This RAM Heatspreader (1 for each stick)

Get those components, and put 1 stick of RAM in the 4x DIMM area and 1 in the 2x DIMM area. Each CPU will have 512MB Single Channel memory. Don't worry, that Corsair is in a workstation of mine and it gives me 4.2GB/s Single Channel bandwidth. You can get 2 more sticks and 2 more heatsinks for the RAM later and really have power.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
welcome but listen to mike(madmodmike) he knows ALOT MORE ABOUT SERVERS THAN I DO I ONLY BUILD PCS FOR THE REGULAR GUY who doesnt need a comp that can handle up to 100ppl at a time accesing it for info

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That board has alot of features. The SATA II / PATA and RAID is nice, and the fact it has SLI is great. The 2 things that worry me are 1) It's size. It's a standard ATX board (12" x 9.6") while normal Dual Opteron (or any server board/workstation board for that matter) are Extended ATX (12" x 13"). That board is very small, the CPU's are close to the RAM and your video cards are real close to the CPU, which would inhibit large heatsinks. And 2) The RAM. I am not sure if this is true as I have only recently seen this board, but it appears that this board has 6x DIMM's for 1 CPU.

That means that if it's true, one of the CPU's has to fetch RAM through the first CPU (Say bye to NUMA) and that is just crap. But, since you're probably only going to use 1 CPU for awhile, that board might be nice. I would still recommend getting the board I said, unless you want SLI.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
hey man get an opty 265 first then add another its like having 4 procs cause the opty 265 is a dual core and if you just wanna game get the opty 165 on an a8n-sli premium and some corsair ram it should be a little cheaper

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
i went to look for ram and danm kingston hyper X ram costs like 200 bucks for 1 gig kit of 2

do u kno any cheap ram i can ue with that mobo?

ye si like th eSLI option that way when time comes to mess with my system i can just buy anotehr look alike card instead of buying a newer more expensive one

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The nForce Professional chipset (on some motherboards) can support SLI. That board seems to be able to support it. Pengwin, are you looking for 2 1GB sticks? If so, you're going to pay alot of money for them, no matter what you buy. I recommend the Corsair XMS for about $220 I believe it is, check newegg for it. Make sure it's ECC and Registered memory.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Pengwin, look to my first post, it linked you to RAM and Heatsinks for that RAM, buy 2 of those sticks, each is 512MB and $70 each. Add in the heatsinks, $82 for each stick, that's the best price you'll get.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
ok man and peng 2 things are you getting the opty 1 or 2 sereis and never get kingston only good brands like ocz crucial and corsair

dvdpiddy logging off good night everyone :wink:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Don't get Kingston. If I were you, I would scrap the whole Dual Opty idea and get an Opteron 165 Dual Core. It's 1.8GHz and can overclock very nicely. If you want to change your mind, I can put together a nice system for you and you can see it.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Scrap the idea and get the following:

AMD Opteron 146 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache
ASUS A8N-SLI Motherboard
2 512MB Crucial Ballistix DDR500 RAM

That is a good system, if you need links, let me know.