WEP Key question

September 27, 2004 8:39:59 AM

I installed a new firmware on my access point, and since then, I don't
see the WEP 128 bit key anymore.

What does the iPAQ 4150 WEP feature "The key is provided for me
automatically." mean? Is the key really transmitted automatically from
the access point to the client (iPAQ)?

If so, this voids security since other clients could catch the WEP key
as well.

Any explanantion would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

--
Georges

More about : wep key question

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:33:42 PM

Georges,

Your question is really more WiFi related than Pocket PC related at this
point.

You are correct in that if your Access Point is configured to provide the
key to clients automatically anyone can get on your network. However, this
feature is usually disabled by default on most APs.

If you enable this feature on your P/PC and it isn't enabled on the AP, you
will not be able to communicate. It has to be configured at both ends.
This is true for Pocket PCs as well as PCs and Mac's.

The idea behind transmitting the key is to allow encryption but make it easy
for users to get access to a network or the internet in a controlled
environment.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews

"Georges Heinesch" <nomorespam@nomorespam.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new firmware on my access point, and since then, I don't see
>the WEP 128 bit key anymore.
>
> What does the iPAQ 4150 WEP feature "The key is provided for me
> automatically." mean? Is the key really transmitted automatically from the
> access point to the client (iPAQ)?
>
> If so, this voids security since other clients could catch the WEP key as
> well.
>
> Any explanantion would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> --
> Georges
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 7:39:44 PM

This option is more for a enterprise using a radius server backend. On my
network you need a user certificate to get on my wifi network and then that
cert is checked against the radius server and the radius server provides the
key. That's the only time I seen this option used.

rights...

"Georges Heinesch" <nomorespam@nomorespam.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new firmware on my access point, and since then, I don't see
>the WEP 128 bit key anymore.
>
> What does the iPAQ 4150 WEP feature "The key is provided for me
> automatically." mean? Is the key really transmitted automatically from the
> access point to the client (iPAQ)?
>
> If so, this voids security since other clients could catch the WEP key as
> well.
>
> Any explanantion would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> --
> Georges
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:31:52 PM

Clinton Fitch III wrote:

> I hope this helps answer your question.

Yes. Thanks a lot!

--
Georges
Anonymous

Clinton Fitch III wrote:

> You are correct in that if your Access Point is configured to provide the
> key to clients automatically anyone can get on your network. However, this
> feature is usually disabled by default on most APs.

My AP (SMC 2804WBR V.2) says "Active Transmit Key" next to the active
key. I can select one of 4 keys, but I cannot deselect the feature for
all keys.

Does this mean that my AP transmits the key and that it can be used by a
client with the "The key is provided for me automatically." option?

> If you enable this feature on your P/PC and it isn't enabled on the AP, you
> will not be able to communicate. It has to be configured at both ends.
> This is true for Pocket PCs as well as PCs and Mac's.
>
> The idea behind transmitting the key is to allow encryption but make it easy
> for users to get access to a network or the internet in a controlled
> environment.
>
> I hope this helps answer your question.

It does. Thanks a lot!

--