Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Dear all,

Probably a silly question but when I have plotted a flight plan using the
built in planner of FS2004 or FSNavigator
and using either high or low level airways the route would appear to
'dogleg' left and right to follow navaids etc.

Having not actually flown much in my lifetime in the real world (not much of
a addict that way) would the pilot
have to constantly activate 'seat belt' signs when changing bearings at VORS
due to the banking of the aircraft
or is there a comfortable angle which the aircraft can turn without
passengers smacking their heads against the cabin
overhead compartments I'm mostly refering to passenger jets.

Like I said bit of a stupid question but one which I have lost a lot of
sleep over!!

Chris

Chris wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Probably a silly question but when I have plotted a flight plan using
> the built in planner of FS2004 or FSNavigator
> and using either high or low level airways the route would appear to
> 'dogleg' left and right to follow navaids etc.
>
> Having not actually flown much in my lifetime in the real world (not
> much of a addict that way) would the pilot
> have to constantly activate 'seat belt' signs when changing bearings
> at VORS due to the banking of the aircraft
> or is there a comfortable angle which the aircraft can turn without
> passengers smacking their heads against the cabin
> overhead compartments I'm mostly refering to passenger jets.
>
> Like I said bit of a stupid question but one which I have lost a lot
> of sleep over!!
>
> Chris

Not a silly question at all, however, when the pilot makes a correctly held
turn, the passengers would not even know that the aircraft is turning unless
they look out of the window, A good turn keeps the gravity pull of the
aircraft feeling the same as it would in level flight. That is one of the
signs of a good pilot.

These days, most airlines expect you to keep your seatbelt on all the time
anyway, except when you get up to walk around.

--
Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks Quilly

Just imagined someone who had too many lemonade shandies p***ins against the
toilet wall as he falls over
as a new radial is followed.

Chris

Chris wrote:
> Thanks Quilly
>
> Just imagined someone who had too many lemonade shandies p***ins
> against the toilet wall as he falls over
> as a new radial is followed.

Well with a bit too much rudder, the aircraft might slip a bit and you could
end up peeing in your shoes, but most airline pilots are too experienced for
that.

I remember taking up a Japanese Airline captain friend of mine in a small
GA aircraft once. After a while I handed the controls over to him. He had
not flown a small aircraft for about twenty years and yet the plane
immediately went as steady as a rock and I realised that I had been swerving
all over the place up until then. I think he was relieved to have the thing
properly under control at last, but was too tactful to say anything.

"Chris" <chris@mwapartnership.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> Probably a silly question but when I have plotted a flight plan using the
> built in planner of FS2004 or FSNavigator
> and using either high or low level airways the route would appear to
> 'dogleg' left and right to follow navaids etc.
>
> Having not actually flown much in my lifetime in the real world (not much
> of a addict that way) would the pilot
> have to constantly activate 'seat belt' signs when changing bearings at
> VORS due to the banking of the aircraft
> or is there a comfortable angle which the aircraft can turn without
> passengers smacking their heads against the cabin
> overhead compartments I'm mostly refering to passenger jets.
>
> Like I said bit of a stupid question but one which I have lost a lot of
> sleep over!!
>
> Chris

Although shallow banks using a coordinated turn entry and exit are fairly
comfortable to passengers, it should be noted that no turn in any aircraft
can be accomplished at 1g, which is what the passengers are feeling in level
flight.(also standing still on the ground :)
As any aircraft is banked, the g must increase to produce the turn. This
splitting of the lift vector into two g components can indeed be felt by
some passengers and is a function of individual tolerance to load factor.
Most passengers wouldn't complain at banks up to about 25 degrees, but
anything above that might get some "reaction". For example, and this is
extreme for a passenger jet, but at 60 degrees of bank, ANY airplane will be
producing a load factor of 2.0g's. For a 180lb. passenger, this would
translate into that passenger feeling physically as though he weighed 360lbs
and the .5lb drink he was holding in his hand would effectively weigh in at
a full pound! :)
Dudley Henriques