Audigy 4 vs X-Fi Fatal1ty

madden95

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
What are the advantages for a gamer hoping to use 5.1 sound in using a X-Fi Fatal1ty over an Audigy 4 soundcard? Tell me if I am being too general. What I mean specifically is performance and sound quality.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The paper specs for the DACs are similar, the differences lie in newer generation EAX5 (rather than 4; although who knows what the differences really are) if you are inquring for gaming differences.

I can't remember but I believe the Fatal1ty is the one with X-RAM; in that case it might have some benefits in some games, although I am unsure of how or what they would be.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
My question is for the price are you really gonna notice the difference.......? How much for the X-Fi Fatility and how much for the Audigy 4?...hmmmmm.....I don't believe the hype...I think its another way to try and get your money.....imho..

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Generally speaking putting money into speakers rather than electronics is probably going to net you a lot more utility.

It's kind of the "get a BMW M3, or get a Honda Civic and spend $40,000 on upgrades so that it's as comfy, posh, handles and performs like an M3" sort of thing. I prefer the prior.

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
Latest X-Fi cards handle 128 voices simulanously each with reverb, occlusions etceters; that's twice as many as Audigy 4. When playing e.g. Quake 4 it does make audible difference. There should be more games using this technology coming in future, i think there are only few titles that fully support X-RAM.

I do not have Audigy 4 to blind test it but if I select Open AL (that means all of my X-Fi is used) in Quake 4 sound is way better then plain DirectX, every single sound gets real and very precise, I mean you instantly know the direction Stroggs are coming from.

I agree Audigy 4 is probably better value compared to X-Fi.
Still X-Fi is best performance card plus it comes with bery good surround sound for headphones. I got it and have no regrets about it sofar