Sign in with
Your question

$300 for P4 EE?

Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2006 6:59:43 AM

I have an oppurtunity to get a P4 EE 478 pga at 3.2Ghz for 300 bones...this could actually replace a 2.8ghz oc'ed to 3.0ghz Northwood I have...would you guys say this is a good deal...? It also comes with a really nice heatsink and 120mm fan..looking for your input... but the fan and heat sink are not as important atm...

More about : 300

February 27, 2006 10:17:55 AM

prozac is right, have you considerd an AMD alternative? you could get a 3700 and 90 doller awesome mobo that would kkkiilll the p4 3.0, 3.2, shit the 3.8EE
February 27, 2006 11:24:26 AM

As usual, you ask a question about an Intel chip and everybody wants you to go AMD. LOL

Me personally, I wouldn't buy it. Save your money and wait for the next generation chips to come out. Although you may notice a performance difference, I don't think it would justify buying that chip even for 300 bones as you say.
Related resources
February 27, 2006 1:43:46 PM

WELL WHAT DO YOU EXPECT AMD SLAY'S INTEL!

AMD
LIFE
February 27, 2006 3:15:30 PM

So true...

But Id also say dont get it, cause the older EEs (3.2 and 3.4) dont have any FSB, L3 Cache or other advantages and therefore dont own as much as the newer ones do.
February 27, 2006 4:24:04 PM

Quote:
As usual, you ask a question about an Intel chip and everybody wants you to go AMD. LOL

Me personally, I wouldn't buy it. Save your money and wait for the next generation chips to come out. Although you may notice a performance difference, I don't think it would justify buying that chip even for 300 bones as you say.

Are you overclocking? That could potentially hit 4.4 on decent air cooling, and the unlocked multipliers should be hellaz easy to work with.

Stock, however, is different...
February 27, 2006 4:32:06 PM

don't get me wrong...I love AMD and am a fan..just not a fanboy.....I go for the processor that has the best performance at the time....right now I have 3 AMD systems and am building another.....I also have one Intel system and it has been a very good system for me. That of course was before Prescott...and before Athlon 64 which is far superior to the P4.

Was just wondering if it is worth upgrading my older P4 system to a Extreme Edition chip.......so its not a matter of whether AMD is better or not its a matter of whether people think its worth the $300 for the P4EE....

Would be running the system on Water cooling
February 27, 2006 4:35:41 PM

Quote:
don't get me wrong...I love AMD and am a fan..just not a fanboy.....I go for the processor that has the best performance at the time....right now I have 3 AMD systems and am building another.....I also have one Intel system and it has been a very good system for me. That of course was before Prescott...and before Athlon 64 which is far superior to the P4.

Was just wondering if it is worth upgrading my older P4 system to a Extreme Edition chip.......so its not a matter of whether AMD is better or not its a matter of whether people think its worth the $300 for the P4EE....

Again, it will suck balls at stock. Overclocking could be a totally different story though..
and answer the question: are you going to do overclocking to a fair degree?
February 27, 2006 4:57:30 PM

probably to about 3.6 Ghz
February 27, 2006 5:01:35 PM

Then no. But that could go higher...
February 27, 2006 5:15:37 PM

Have you already checked if your MB is compatible with a P4 EE, in terms of PVRs (Power Voltage Regulators)?

Those "beasts" drag a lot of power & they need a MB with four PVRs...

Otherwise, I think it's a chance you shouldn't miss.

Cheers!
February 27, 2006 5:29:13 PM

I would assume it has what it needs.....its an MSI 875 intel chipset. That model P4EE was made at the time for just that chipset so I assume that I am ok when it comes to compatibility and power issues.
February 27, 2006 5:40:23 PM

I've owned the 3.2EE and a 3.0 Intel, and I honestly wouldn't commend paying $300 for the upgrade.

Get better cooling for the CPU and play around with overclocking more. Some cracking ram and a fab graphics card would probably benefit you better
February 27, 2006 6:26:05 PM

I believe the general consensus is that upgrading to that P4-EE from a P4 3.0 would pretty much be a lateral move... sure it's technically a faster processor, but the difference isn't going to make you $hit a golden brick... and without a golden brick, you're gonna be out $300. I'm not saying go with AMD... just don't think that "upgrade" is worth $300.
February 27, 2006 6:30:49 PM

Buy a cedar mill 3.0 and oc :D 
February 27, 2006 7:33:17 PM

Quote:
WELL WHAT DO YOU EXPECT AMD SLAY'S INTEL!

AMD
LIFE

??? i meant what i said
February 27, 2006 7:35:30 PM

^^ DVDpiddy, I'm buying an Intel Netburst based CPU just to piss you off, and just to beat yours :o 
And by the way, all fanboys, whether you are Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ATI or Republican, are complete morons.
February 27, 2006 7:36:51 PM

Quote:
I have an oppurtunity to get a P4 EE 478 pga at 3.2Ghz for 300 bones...this could actually replace a 2.8ghz oc'ed to 3.0ghz Northwood I have...would you guys say this is a good deal...? It also comes with a really nice heatsink and 120mm fan..looking for your input... but the fan and heat sink are not as important atm...

i got a question for u WHERE??
February 27, 2006 7:41:42 PM

Sounds like Ebay or an online auction. I might pick that sucker up..
February 27, 2006 7:49:26 PM

fine ak dont blame me when you get raped by the intel gorilla
February 27, 2006 8:04:24 PM

id buy it and if the perforamnce isnt worth the 300 for u, go ahead and sell it on ebay, i bet ull get at least 600? for it there... people on ebay are stupid :) 
February 27, 2006 8:25:23 PM

Quote:
fine ak dont blame me when you get raped by the intel gorilla

OH NOES111
February 27, 2006 8:33:03 PM

Quote:

Would be running the system on Water cooling

I would say buy the water cooling (if you don´t already have one) and a new CPU.
I recommend:
If you don´t play games 60% of the time infront of the computer, then buy the Intel Pentium D 920, Dual-cores @ 2,8GHz and 4Mb cache.
If you play a lot of games, then go for AMD64 3700+ San Diego or if you have a little more money the AMD64 X2 3800+.

Yes the AMD:s are faster in games, but if you don´t have an AMD64 X2 and you are going from an Intel P4 Hyper-Threading processor, then you´ll some parts go slower than they did before...

-----
Don´t attack me now AMD and Intel fans, because I have them both...
I got a AMD64 3700+ and a P4 530 that is running at 3,82GHz.
February 27, 2006 8:50:40 PM

wow, dude get that 3.2EE and resell it on ebay, thats the deal of a lifetime, 1000 bux at newegg, ull easily get 700 on ebay. throw in the "good" cooler hes giving u and some thermal paste with original packaging and i bet ull be able to sell it for 800, thats a nice nice nice chunk of change that ull be gaining, 400-500, id recommend putting that into a bigger upgrade. my advise, take advantage of the friend (i assume) whos selling u it for that price, and resell it on ebay or in the want-ad for double what u paid... hell, buy an fx57 with the 500 bux of "found" money :) 
February 27, 2006 9:09:07 PM

Quote:
^^ DVDpiddy, I'm buying an Intel Netburst based CPU just to piss you off, and just to beat yours :o 

Gasp.
February 27, 2006 9:23:40 PM

DVD is probably the most biased amd fan ever. it annoys me because there almost the same
February 27, 2006 9:27:34 PM

so where is this being sold?

online autcion or retailer?
February 27, 2006 9:46:48 PM

id like to know that too, i was assuming it was a friend, if ur buying it from an auction id say skip it, it isnt really worth the risk for such a small increase... but then again, u could make a 400 dollar profit...
February 27, 2006 9:49:27 PM

or the guy could be selling you

PENTIUM 4 3.2 GHz EEretail box only

:) 

iv seen that done with Xbox 360 boxes :)  stupid ppl
February 27, 2006 10:24:25 PM

Quote:
so where is this being sold?

online autcion or retailer?

I am in a Gaming Clan on the west coast and he is making it availible to any of his clan mates first or he will ebay it if no one makes him an offer... He won it at a Lan Party last year but for what ever reason has decided to part ways with the thing....think he may be going dual core..
February 27, 2006 10:46:06 PM

hell im joining that clan link me :) 
February 27, 2006 10:59:47 PM

lolz i agree, dude buy that for 300 and resell it... especially if its unopened.. its worth like 800 unopened, but if hes used it ull still get at least 600 for it, buy it, if it isnt as fast as u expect/think it should be for the money, drop that shiz and pick up... whatever u want for the extra coin u make
February 28, 2006 12:15:38 AM

The only intel dual core with HT is the 955XE, and that's a tad pricey. Also, he is on socket478, not lga775.
February 28, 2006 12:26:13 AM

for 300 bucks ill buy a socket 478
February 28, 2006 1:40:38 AM

yea dude, its 725 on ebay for the same one, closed box tho, u can get 600 for it if u dont use it... but i think some1 said u can easily hit 4.2 on air
February 28, 2006 1:58:13 AM

Quote:
DVD is probably the most biased amd fan ever. it annoys me because there almost the same
thats it parlee you have pissed me off for the last time :twisted:

AMD
LIFE!!!!!

I ROLL IN THE HOOD OF THE A TO THE M TO THE D REPERESENT MY HOOD YO!!!!!

and your the most annoying dell fanboy i have ever met!
February 28, 2006 2:31:01 AM

k spammer. im not a dell fanboy, ur just arguing over nothing and ur points arnt valid, u like amd but u dont even know why, u follow every1 else and when people prove u wrong u get ur other amd fanboys to help u out, ur what i like to call a pussy, why dont u do some research and actually read what my posts say, i told u im not a dell fanboy, i prefer to build my own computers, my dads bought 2 dells and i have a dell mp3 player that i got off a firned for 50 bux, its over 2 years old and works perfectly, the 1.8p4 runs just as well as it did when we got it over 3 years ago, i think, and the new 3.0 p4 runs perfectly fine which we got for a nice low price of 299 because it didnt have a pci express slot, that computer is used for homeowrk and browsing the web, since my computer doesnt have anything but games and music on it, i use that one for wordprocessing and it does it purpose, its never fialed me yet, u cant put down a company when uve never used their products, i know that the 3.0 runs hot, but its in a room where the ambient temp is close to 90 degress (it sits in a desk next to a pellet stove) and its never crashed, i guess taht proves that intels throttling tech works because i imagine its very hot in that cabinet. so do me a favor, before u post ur bs fanboy shit come with some facts, i am actually more biased towards amd, meaning i like them for u idiots, i prefer amd but i dont dis intel because amd is winning by 5% look how bad amd got beat in the past, im sure in intels conroe pwns amd by the 20% intels says, ull say "amd, wtf is amd?" until then, learn to post actual facts, u know we had a similar post number 2 weeks ago, and now u have over 1000 more, why dont u post posts that are actual worthwile instead of posting nonsense, now cmon and prove me wrong.
February 28, 2006 2:53:51 AM

is this the dell thread?

no

this is the P4 EE thread which i need a link to that clans website

take ur dell bs to the dell thread :) 

thats right i pulled out Mr Green on u
February 28, 2006 6:18:22 AM

Dude, get a phucking clue, or just stop posting. Your posts are meaningless, pointless, annoying, and a general festering blemish to an otherwise polished community.
...and your
Quote:
I ROLL IN THE HOOD OF THE A TO THE M TO THE D REPERESENT MY HOOD YO!!!!!

Reminds me of the opening scene in Office Space.

@parlee "Mooninites unite!"
February 28, 2006 6:55:57 AM

this processor comes used by my friend if everyone read the post I stated that I didn't know why he was getting rid of it but I thought he might be going dual core......so it is not in a box or an OEM it is actually used retail...but I am sure it is fine...
February 28, 2006 11:59:36 AM

I know that the 955 is the only one with HT and Dual Core.
He is sitting on Socket 478 and that is outdated for a long time ago... What he needs is Socket 939 or LGA775 (Socket 775) or wait until the new AMD comes, but that will take a long time.
February 28, 2006 4:22:36 PM

dood try and stay on topic eh!! read the first post!!
February 28, 2006 5:06:31 PM

Don't listen to fan boys, they told me my p4 was a piece of junk, but it still runs FEAR faster than my friends 3700+.
I think AMD pays them to post this bullshit. A video card and 2 gigs of ram will make more difference than upgrading a cpu.
Just OC that 2.8 to 3.4 and sell that 3.4EE, to sum chump.
Unless you're going for 4 ghz, you won't see any difference.
Wait till conroe comes out at least.
If you can sell it on ebay, do it and save the money for your next PC.
February 28, 2006 6:27:20 PM

my appologizes i thought this was actually a different thread where he was dissing dell because he has no reason... but im sure pretty much every single person in this entire forum would agree with me that dvd does nothing to add to the community and posts blatent lies and nonsense and helps noone in any way, he should be ban for posting biased bs with no proof to back it up, we call those types of people... stupid... i think, but i also agree with others that u wont see a big diff with the p4 EE, and since its sockt 478 or whatever its outdated, sortof, if he has the original box and fan and such try to sell it on ebay, i promise ull get a good profit from it... or use it and overclock to 4ghz and then you will see a pretty big performance increase from 2.8 or 3.2... if u dont plan on ocing that beast then u may be better off waiting for conroe or am2, waiting a few months then buying whichever is better, or wait until there released and get a 939 cpu for almost nothing, whichever suits u. maybe hell sell me that 3.2 :) 
February 28, 2006 8:22:35 PM

Quote:
Don't listen to fan boys, they told me my p4 was a piece of junk, but it still runs FEAR faster than my friends 3700+.

But all other things are equal, right? Same vid card, same RAM, same timings on the RAM... otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges, dude. There's probably a few things he could do to get that game performing better on his setup.
February 28, 2006 8:47:05 PM

Rust I would have to ask you a few questions first...

1) What motherboard do you have right now? (some are better than others at the OC thing).

2) What memory are you using? (same as coment above some better than others.)

If you have a nice OC capable motherboard and memory then it is quite a good deal. Even if it is a 478 it will work well for gaming. The EE allows the opening of the multipliers and the 478 can still support the 800FSB (mother board dependent too).

Also, Since this is a USED proc, how did the guy use it? If it spent its current lifetime in a heavy duty OC mode (likely given it is an EE and that is the reason most peole bought that proc for) the life of the proc could have already been shortened.

Just some food for thought... Same as buying a used sports car.... It could have been driven nicely the whole time but it is NOT really likely.
February 28, 2006 9:18:52 PM

intel gorilla? hmm g-unit in a conspiracy with intel now? amd needs to pull the big guns out now! WHERES D12??
February 28, 2006 9:33:38 PM

big guns you say?

alright here comes the big guns

February 28, 2006 10:40:39 PM

rofl, soon intel will use the code name "enimem" for there quad core black chip
March 1, 2006 12:11:05 AM

Quote:
Rust I would have to ask you a few questions first...

1) What motherboard do you have right now? (some are better than others at the OC thing).

answer: MSI Neo 2

2) What memory are you using? (same as coment above some better than others.)

answer:Corsair XMS PC3200

If you have a nice OC capable motherboard and memory then it is quite a good deal. Even if it is a 478 it will work well for gaming. The EE allows the opening of the multipliers and the 478 can still support the 800FSB (mother board dependent too).

Also, Since this is a USED proc, how did the guy use it? If it spent its current lifetime in a heavy duty OC mode (likely given it is an EE and that is the reason most peole bought that proc for) the life of the proc could have already been shortened.

answer:If I know the guy like I think I do, he must have OC it....I know he had to of..

Just some food for thought... Same as buying a used sports car.... It could have been driven nicely the whole time but it is NOT really likely.

answer:very good points thanks
!