small Micro-ATX gaming machine?

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I would like to configure a gaming machine with a small form factor. I'm not sure if this is actually Micro-ATX but something with a size/format close to what the Dell Dimension 5150c offers is what I'm looking for.

I'd like to have PCI-E and not too shabby cooling if possible. I don't need any expandibility. Just one hard-drive and one optical is enough.

I'm aware that high-end video cards are very large and don't fit in this sort of computer, however, Dell's cheesy X600 is far from what I'd like. Are there any better cards out there that would do the trick?.

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
Its not really a question of video cards - its finding a case a powersupply that both keeps it cool enough to run, and also supplies enough power to do what you want. My suggestion is build yourself, grab the ASUS A8NVM-CSM, which is essentially the best Micro-ATX motherboard you can get at this time, and get yourself something like this:

http://www.denguru.com/2006/02/22/diy_hd_htpc_extravaganza_part1/page17.html

or anything similar, which takes ONLY microATX motherboards, to keep size down, but accepts full ATX form factor PSU's, to give you enough juice, and has enough fans to keep you cool. You might also want to consider the Antec Aria, which is cheap, and reasonably attractive, but comes with a propriety 300watt power supply, so you will run out of power pretty fast if you fill it up with FX-60's and X1900XT's. :p Also, I'm not sure how cool that will keep your system.

Have fun now.

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
about 1500$ (before taxes)

I've been looking at those HTPC cases and they're actually not that small. Would it be possible to find something that stands upright?

handym3000

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
why do you need a micro atx machine. Is this due to a space problem, or is this personal preference sort of thing?

if it was looking for a good gaming machine i would look a at a small midtower sized case, that is easy to handle.

I would do some more research if you have that kind of budget. that would easily put you in a better situation than going for a micro system.

linux_0

Splendid
I agree with dvdpiddy, prozac26 and xwar those cases look quite nice indeed.

I may be a little too paranoid but I would not necessarily trust the default PSU however.

Semper Fi Carry^H^H^H^H^H Linux on! :D