Sign in with
Your question

Compaq Presario 2100 repiar issue

Last response: in Components
February 27, 2006 7:24:55 AM

Friend from work braught this notebook to me in hopes that I can fix it... I have examined it and I have come to two conclusions.

1) The harddrive is bad. Windows XP cantformat it, and the BIOS runs a test on it (like fdisk kinda) and it fails very soon. Apparently it has bad sectors and such..

2) It has a restarting problem. I knotice that very quickly the bottom of the notebook becomes very warm. Even running memtest86 or trying to boot a CD it will restart. I assume that the XP-M chip is getting a little hot under the collar. Or the PSU is no good (No way I know to test this). I will run it off the battery once it is charged.

My problem is, How do I fix this? I try and take off the bottom plate, but it is hung in the middle and I surly do not want to break it. I release all of the screws but somthng is holding it down in the center of the book.

Any ideas as to how I can get inside to replace the harddrive and clean this thing out?
February 28, 2006 2:06:56 AM

I'm not sure if this will help. Ask the friend of yours if he had received an e-mail recently that entitled " A Virtual Card For You" and had opened it.
February 28, 2006 2:44:18 AM

Tried running a harddrive diagnostic? I find Spinrite 6 works pretty well--I screwed up a Toshiba harddrive pretty poorly before and it did the fix. If you think your proc is overheating though, (I have a Presario V2310 that ran hotter than a mofo) I think you'll pretty much have to take the entire thing apart to check for thermal paste, etc. Check to make sure that there aren't any wires holding the bottom plate down. I think a wireless card wire was sort of stuck into my laptop's bottom plate when I took it apart. On the plus side, I don't think it can be the power supply, can it? Isn't the PSU in notebooks built into the cord? If it was faulty, how would it be able to charge the notebook properly?
Related resources
February 28, 2006 5:35:52 AM

Thanks guys.. very helpfull...
February 28, 2006 8:02:03 AM

Boots Knoppix off the CD and runs just fine...
February 28, 2006 9:14:16 AM

1) Aren't these using AMD S-754 (mobile) Turion64 or Sempron(/x64) processors ?

2) Did 'your friend', accidentially or otherwise, drop or spill, etc anything on the laptop ?

3) Chances are the HDD is bad we know that much already. (Windows FORMAT is a high level format, you want a Low Level Test, not Format, which Compaq Presarios have in the BIOS) - as above. I'm running a V2400 AU model here btw

4) A virus will usually not cause bad sectors on the HDD, it might mark some clusters (which are really fine) as bad but not the actual sectors at the low level. If it fails the integrated BIOS Low Level HDD surface test then the HDD is stuffed, usually from the laptop being dropped it hit very hard.

5) Start looking for replacement 2.5" notebook HDDs, starting at 40 GB, 4200 rpm... most likely a 60 GB 5400 rpm will be replacing it I feel already.
February 28, 2006 5:13:35 PM

I ran spinright 6 overnight and about 8 hours into it (2,200 hours to go) and the HD was overheating (55C). That is probably the culprit... The whole bottom of the lap top was hot... almost burning my hand...
March 1, 2006 4:26:34 AM

I still cant get this thing apart. The hadest part is the top plate that surrounds the keyboard and there is no diagram in the links your provided...
March 4, 2006 1:49:53 AM

Found a diagram on page 24, it looks pretty standard; with the top closed, on the back, remove the screws on the hinges, then open the top up all the way and you put a flat blade screw driver under the top plate (on the right side between the keyboard and cover plate) and pry up, you should see it start to rise and you guide it up and off the hinges.
!