Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade from FX-55 to Opteron 170 ?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 27, 2006 8:31:18 AM

Hi all

I've seen a lot of posts about the Opteron processors and how good they are at overclocking. I should probably mention that I have never overclocked any system previously.

My current system has an FX-55 Clawhammer CPU (2.4GHz). Now, whilst I realise this has an unlocked multiplier, it already runs a bit hot at stock speeds (currently using stock HSF also), so am a bit wary about trying to OC this CPU. Temps are currently 33C idle and 57C under full load (ambient temp is 21C currently - normally around 30C during the summer).

Now, I do plan to get a Zalman CNPS9500-LED cooler to try and help reduce the temps, but do not want to go to a water-cooled solution. I will also probably use a silicon-based thermal paste/grease rather than Arctic Silver 5 (I know AS5 is better, but am concerned about potential problems when removing/replacing the CPU/HSF).

I think the Zalman will help a bit with the temps, but not sure if it will be enough to allow me to OC the FX-55.

Another consideration is that the FX-55 is single core/thread, and I would prefer a dual core processor (hate having to wait for .pdf files to unload in Firefox, slowdown when defragging, etc...). After all, windows is a multi-tasking environment, and I always have lots of programs running.

My target is to have a system that performs at least the same as my current system for gaming and all other applications, but with dual core.

I read here that the Opteron 170 is very good for OC on stock cooling. With the Zalman HSF, I would expect even better results. However, I'm not sure what results to expect.

So, in conclusion, if I were to replace the FX-55 with an Opteron 170 and with the Zalman HSF, would/should I be able to OC it to a level where I would have the same or better performance than my current FX-55.

My system specs are:

A8N32-Sli Deluxe (good options for OCing I believe)
2 x 1GB Corsair TwinX 3500LL Pro
XFX 7800GTX Extreme XXX (490MHz)
4 x WD740 'Raptor' (no RAID)
Tagan TG580-U15 'Easycon' (580W)
X-Fi ExtremeMusic
Coolermaster Stacker case - lots of ventilation

Thx in advance for your suggestions.

More about : upgrade opteron 170

February 27, 2006 8:49:03 PM

Update: I decided to go ahead and order one and try it out. Hopefully should be here by the end of the week.

tbh, I've been reading such good reports on this forum regarding Opterons that I had to get one and see.

I may need some help later when OCing, as I have never done it before, but I will first check the existing threads and guides and see if I can work it out.

Looking forward to the challenge :lol: 
February 27, 2006 9:12:18 PM

well ive never owned an opteron and i dont overclock my processor, but i heard people overclocking opterons up to 1ghz, is the fx55 for sale :p  is it on socket 754 or 939? also since its a clawhammer those temps are normal, mine idles at 50 and never goes over 65 (amd 3700 clawhammer socket 754) if u put the zalman on that proc it prob wont make a big diff in idle temps, but the full load temp may drop to 45-50C... to be honest i didnt read all of ur post, it was long and im lazy :) , but i did manage to read the first and last paragraph, good luck with the opty, they do overclock like crazy... if u want perforamnce figures, changing between those 2 chips u wont see a massive perforamnce increase (in gaming at least) maybe 10fps depending on ur res/settings but for multitasking and such ull notice a much bigger difference, especially overclocked. also many new games are becomming multi threaded (quake 4 is the only 1 i can think of) so it will run much better on ur opteron because of the 2 cores, i think at least. like i said, ive never really overclocked my cpu, but from what i hear u cant really do any harm unless u overclock from 1.8 to 4.0 it may cause damage, or just reboot... as long as u keep ur voltage under 1.5 ull be fine and wont cause damage to ur proc. just make sure to take it slow and do some research seeing how high others got and how they did it...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 28, 2006 7:38:40 AM

Quote:
is the fx55 for sale :p  is it on socket 754 or 939?

I wasn't considering selling the FX-55 at this time, although I may consider doing so if I get good results from the Opteron. It's strange that I also received a PM from another guy also asking if it was for sale. I know they were discontinued when the FX-57 came out, but I didn't realise there was so much demand for them.

fyi, it is on socket 939.

I'll let you know if I do consider selling the FX-55.
February 28, 2006 8:55:41 AM

I have a opteron 165 and it overclocked 1ghz from 1.8stock to 2.8 on air with stock cooler(4 heatpipe cooler) and 1.45 volts(idle temp 34c full load both cores 46c). Thats the best 325 I spent, even if I only got it to 2.4 or 2.6 its still a great value.

Side note... you need a DFI LandParty Ultra-D mobo to get it to 2.8ghz, most nf4 mobos cant hit 300fsb/htt mine does 320 w/o raising the chip set voltages. A 9x multiplyer is what the 165 comes with vs the 10x on the 170.
February 28, 2006 9:06:25 AM

I'll certainly bear that in mind when OCing. My A8N32-Sli Deluxe allows me to change the FSB up to 400 (in theory), although until I get the CPU and give it a try, I won't know what effects that will have.

Please note that I am not suggesting to up the FSB to 400 directly (or at all for that matter). My target will be as close to 3GHz as possible (which I believe will require the FSB at 300 or thereabouts).

However, I first need to do some research on overclocking, as this will be my 1st attempt.

Thx for the advice though
February 28, 2006 9:25:13 AM

Quote:
I'll certainly bear that in mind when OCing. My A8N32-Sli Deluxe allows me to change the FSB up to 400 (in theory), although until I get the CPU and give it a try, I won't know what effects that will have.

Please note that I am not suggesting to up the FSB to 400 directly (or at all for that matter). My target will be as close to 3GHz as possible (which I believe will require the FSB at 300 or thereabouts).

However, I first need to do some research on overclocking, as this will be my 1st attempt.

Thx for the advice though

No problem, I have my cpu running @ 2.6 24/7 with stock voltage 289x9. I use a memory divider of 7/10 so my ram is running @ 200mhz @ 2-2-2-5 (2 gig ocz). If I ever get to the point where I need the extra 200mhz then ill up to voltages but 2.6 for now is more than enough for anything out now. Its just nice to know that at its max it can run @ fx62 (2.8ghz) with no problem.
March 2, 2006 2:56:54 AM

I am looking at the same processor have found it at zipzoomfly.com for 401.00 shipped 2 day. Thats about the best price I've found. Just thought I would pass it along.
!