AMD Athlon 64 stock Thermal Paste??

Hey guys, im just wondering if Athlon 64 CPU's (retail) come with thermal paste/glue (whatever you call it)? and if so is it good and safe enough to use? or will i have to go and buy brand stuff like arctic silver? I'd really preciate some advice, thanks.
17 answers Last reply
More about athlon stock thermal paste
  1. What prozac26 said is very true, AMD comes with excellent stock cooling for non OC'ers and light OC'ers. Not to mention its pre applied which always helps. :D
  2. is it really arctic silver 5 or not cause im confused they say you cant use arctic silver but they use it whats up with that
  3. Quote:
    is it really arctic silver 5 or not cause im confused they say you cant use arctic silver but they use it whats up with that

They don't use thermal paste at all. They use a semi-sold thermal material that is a little pad when applied, and fills in the gaps like a fluid when heated.

As far as the maker, I have no idea, they probably make it inhouse.
  4. Quote:
    Hey guys, im just wondering if Athlon 64 CPU's (retail) come with thermal paste/glue (whatever you call it)? and if so is it good and safe enough to use? or will i have to go and buy brand stuff like arctic silver? I'd really preciate some advice, thanks.

I use AMD stock HSF with its thermal paste, and I was able to oc to 2500MHz

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=140939
  5. i like thermal bad easy to use
  6. I agree :D

The stock coolers and thermal paste work amazingly well :D

AS5 is good but in some cases overkill.
  7. khha, im surprised you only got 3000 for your 3DMark06 score, here is my setup and i got the same score

Athlon 64 3500+ Venice @ stock
    3Gb ddr400
    X1800 XL @ stock
    250Gb Sata HD
    450W PSU
  8. ok thx hergie
    good night all
  9. alright so summing it up i gotta waste like 5 bucks on artic silver 5 inorder to decently OC a 3200+?
  10. If you plan to OC more than 20% I would say so.

If you plan to be even more aggressive a Zalman Copper cooler may be in order.
  11. yes you do but its not a waste you only use a drop and it works fine for about 10 pcs
  12. meh fine ill buy that to

great gotta mow one more lawn

danmit u guys are killin me i tell ya
  13. how does your 3gig of RAM work compared to 2gig of the same RAM?

just curious. 8)
  14. Not to be a jerk or anything, but do you really think AMD or Intel would sell a product with a cooling solution that doesn't work?
  15. Hmm

yes

my intel goes to 61 C on load/idle
  16. OK... and it works, right?

The thermal design limit for Intel chips is well over 90C. So even if your CPU is running at 70C- you're still fine. Of course... the life of ur CPU might decrease if you're running at 70C all the time- but intel just wants to get you past that "3 year warranty hump."

;-)

-mpjesse
  17. im past the 3 year warranty
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Thermal Compound AMD