My system hates music!

LAN_Rover

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Has anyone seen this before?
My system hangs up whenever I play mp3's. Doesn't matter what program I use: mediaplayer, winamp, even games that play mp3s for the soundtrack. The whole system locks up, no video no nothing. The power stays on though, the only thing that I can do is turn it off at the PSU.

I've tried everything: changed PCI slots, taken the sound card out completely, the next step is to use my 23oz "universal adapter" (framing claw-hammer). 8O

Can anyone help?

(is it because it knows the songs are downloaded... hmmm... maybe it's become possesd by an avenging angel)

my system:
AMD 1600+
512 PC1800
Soltek Purple Ray MoBo
Antec 70W PSU
Maxtor 20G x 2
Maxtor 80G
LG 40/12/16

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Buy another sound card from a local retail outlet. If it works, then your problem is solved. If not, return it and start with other components.

Is your signature accurate? It seems you have a 70W PSU.

IDEV

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Start here:

Update your Sound Card driver if possible

Check for hardware conflicts in Device Manager

Replace Sound Card

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I concur with the others.... Can't be the mp3's because they're downloaded. Makes no sence!

Have you installed all the drivers, and can you get your system to play ANY sounds.

by that I mean:

1. windows boot up?
2. Audio cds?
3. DVD's
4. MP3's

If the answer is yes to some of those, then the card is obviously functioning to some extent. Does the ,otherboar have built in sound? If so, is it disabled?

You must make sure that you've installed the drivers for your sound card. I strongly suggest you download the latest ones off the web so that you dont get and XP sp2 driver issues.

There's a little food for thought.

Also, what is that psu? 70 WATTT?????

pharoah

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
well before i would go through all that ive heard no one ask simple things like when was the last time you used disk cleanup and a defrag when was the last time ya scanned for viruses is your virus program up to date do ya got spyware have any spyware scanners are they up to date etc etc
in other words this could as easily be a maintenance problem

LAN_Rover

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Sorry, you're right, a 70W might light the LEDS. It's an antec 500W.

The system only hangs when I play mp3 files or from and enhanced CD, .wav .mpeg .avi and CDs work fine.

I did virus/spyware etc scans and found a few small things which have been cleaned up. I tried it without the card installed and o/b sound enabled and the same thing happens as when the card is installed and o/b sound is diasabled. Updated the drivers, and mediaplayer too.

I'm thinking it might be the mobo b/c it hangs with the sound card too. I'll derag and see where that gets me too.

LAN_Rover

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i've tried a number of players, all with the same result. and i've got the latest drivers right from soundblaster's website.

i guess it's off to find my "universal adapter"