XP Pro "repair" continually restarts after hardware upgrade

I have upgraded my PC by changing the mobo, processor,
memory and graphics card. I have used my old HD which has
a copy of XP Pro loaded. It said I needed to repair XP
and now it keeps getting to the installing devices screen
gets about 75% through then reboots, restarts setup and
starts from the installing new devices screeen again.....
This loops continually without making any further
progress, any ideas?

The new hardware is:

Intel 3.0Ghz 800 FSB
Asus P4P800 SE MOBO
512K of Dual channel DDR
GeForce FX5700LE 256Mb TD Graphics Card
..
2 answers Last reply
More about repair continually restarts hardware upgrade

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:36:22 -0700, Robert wrote:

    > I have upgraded my PC by changing the mobo, processor,
    > memory and graphics card. I have used my old HD which has
    > a copy of XP Pro loaded. It said I needed to repair XP
    > and now it keeps getting to the installing devices screen
    > gets about 75% through then reboots, restarts setup and
    > starts from the installing new devices screeen again.....
    > This loops continually without making any further
    > progress, any ideas?
    >
    > The new hardware is:
    >
    > Intel 3.0Ghz 800 FSB
    > Asus P4P800 SE MOBO
    > 512K of Dual channel DDR
    > GeForce FX5700LE 256Mb TD Graphics Card
    > .

    Suggestions:
    -Disconnect any unnecessary hardware in an attempt to let the repair
    complete.
    -If using 2 memory modules, remove one. Try replacing it later after the
    repair completes. If the trouble returns, suspect bad/mismatched memory.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hi Robert,

    With that much of a hardware change, you need to do a repair installation.
    Follow these steps to do a repair install which should preserve your data,
    settings, and programs:

    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
    drive.
    2. Restart your computer. If you have to, change the BIOS settings to start
    from
    the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer again.
    3. At the "Welcome to Setup" page, press ENTER.
    4. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
    5. Use the arrow keys to select the installation of Windows XP that you want
    repair, and then press R to start the automatic repair process.
    6. When Setup is completed, activate Windows XP.

    Note that you will need your Product Key for this procedure, so have it
    handy before you begin.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Robert" <robertholmes@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    >I have upgraded my PC by changing the mobo, processor,
    > memory and graphics card. I have used my old HD which has
    > a copy of XP Pro loaded. It said I needed to repair XP
    > and now it keeps getting to the installing devices screen
    > gets about 75% through then reboots, restarts setup and
    > starts from the installing new devices screeen again.....
    > This loops continually without making any further
    > progress, any ideas?
    >
    > The new hardware is:
    >
    > Intel 3.0Ghz 800 FSB
    > Asus P4P800 SE MOBO