Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hello people
I need some help with my power supply. I don't want to spend a whole ton of extra cash on a huge wattage power supply, because my system already looks like it's going to cost more than I want with the addition of a Koolance All-In-One Liquid Cooling System. Could someone more intelligent give me an estimate of what wattage PSU would be good enough for the components below, including surge when computer starts. Also, could someone give me an estimate of what overclocking would alter in the power consumption reading? It would help...I plan on heavily overclocking my CPU, as well as video card, RAM, yeah. I'm stupid when it comes to power supplies, so bear with me.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 nVidia nForce4 motherboard

AMD 64 bit 3700 [2.2 GHz...not the best, but this is where I plan to overclock to compensate :)]

A-DATA Vitesta 2GB Memory (2 x 1GB)

Leadtek nVidia 7800 GTX graphics card

Seagate 400 GB Hard drive

A couple random fans

Koolance All-In-One Liquid Cooling System

One of those CD burners

And that's about it. Please help.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
A power supply is not an area where you want to save a few bucks. This is the piece of equipment that allows everything to run to the best of its ability, hence, if you get a shitty generic PSU, you will have constant headaches as to why my system is restarting, etc. IMO you should get a decent Branded (Antec, Enermax, OCZ) PSU with about 450W. You should check to see how much power the koolance watercooling system draws, or if it gets power from an outside source. If it does take power from your PSU, then i would probably get an Antec Truecontrol | Truepower 500W just to be safe.

Basically what im getting at is...dont cheap out on your power supply, it could burn you in the end.

Ellis gave some good advice...i'll go even further. If you're short on money, then go with an Epox 9NPA+ Ultra put that extra into the PSU. That $40-60 extra on the PSU will make all the difference in the world - especially if you want to OC.