Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

When I loaded IE this morning, I was taken to the Windows
Update page. It informed me that SP2 was ready to be
installed on my computer. I clicked Install, accepted
EULA, and then was greeted with an error message
informing me that the syatem was unable to update. I'm
using XP Home with all prior updates installed. What
gives?

Hi Randy,

Locate the WindowsUpdate.log file under \Windows or \Winnt. Open it and
scroll to the bottom. Look at the error codes and compare them against this
site, or post back here:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I loaded IE this morning, I was taken to the Windows
> Update page. It informed me that SP2 was ready to be
> installed on my computer. I clicked Install, accepted
> EULA, and then was greeted with an error message
> informing me that the syatem was unable to update. I'm
> using XP Home with all prior updates installed. What
> gives?

Hi Rick--

Thanks for the reply. I had to reboot my machine for
another reason, and SP2 downloaded & installed after that.

Boy, big mistake (for me anyway)! I just went through a
nightmare of upgrading to a bug-ridden Quicken 2005, but
SP2 was even more annoying. I have a high-end 2GHz Dell
(only 512K RAM), and after installing SP2, it was like
someone poured molasses on the OS! The thing was still
Numerous shutdowns & restarts were of no help, so I
uninstalled and am once again at peace with SP1. Don't
know if others are experiencing the same thing, but my
time, a considerable waste I might add, with SP2 was
horrible.

Regards,
Randy

Hi Randy,

You might want to check with Dell for any known issues for your system (and
I think you meant 512MB of ram, not 512K, the latter wouldn't even run Win95
<g>).