Sign in with
Your question

Heat Sink Thermal Grease...to add or not?

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2006 4:04:29 PM

I've got a retail boxed Athlon 64 X2 3800+ that I plan to install in the next day or two, and I had a question about using thermal grease with it.

The stock heatsink and fan will be used for now...though I'll upgrade when I start overclocking. The stock heat sink has a "patch" about an inch square of thermal grease already on it. And, I was wondering if that will be sufficient or if I should add any (I ordered a little tube of the arctic silver stuff).

If I should add more, is it okay to apply the arctic silver stuff with the stock stuff, or should I scrape off the stock stuff first?
February 27, 2006 4:36:48 PM

The AS5 will work better than the stock stuff. Scrape off the old stuff and apply the AS5 in a smooth, thin layer.
February 27, 2006 4:37:50 PM

Clean the old stuff off first with alcohol and a rag. It comes off pretty easy.
Related resources
February 27, 2006 4:42:39 PM

The thermal adhesive provided by AMD is crap. Get some arctic silver 5/ceramique and apply that after killing the adhesive.
February 27, 2006 4:54:42 PM

Great! Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I needed to know.
February 27, 2006 5:31:40 PM

It actually works just FINE, provided you aren't an idiot: The heatsink needs to be applied on one, smooth continuous movement to prevent damaging the surface of the pad. The CPU must not be moved or twisted afterwards, and once the machine has been running for a while, the heatsink absolutely must NOT be moved at all. If you follow those rules, then the stock pad is more than adequate.

I agree that Arctic Silver is preferable, but only of you are super picky, want to overclock and have the time required to strip the pad, and do it manually. It's not an option in a commercial operation; every minute spent building = less profit...
February 27, 2006 5:32:53 PM

Quote:
I've got a retail boxed Athlon 64 X2 3800+ that I plan to install in the next day or two, and I had a question about using thermal grease with it.

The stock heatsink and fan will be used for now...though I'll upgrade when I start overclocking. The stock heat sink has a "patch" about an inch square of thermal grease already on it. And, I was wondering if that will be sufficient or if I should add any (I ordered a little tube of the arctic silver stuff).

If I should add more, is it okay to apply the arctic silver stuff with the stock stuff, or should I scrape off the stock stuff first?

He is overclocking.
February 27, 2006 9:55:44 PM

yeah its way better to scrape it off. All the stock compound are crap.
February 27, 2006 10:12:52 PM

i have a 3700 sandiego that is oced to 2607 and it runs at 80 to 84f
and about 98 t0 102 under load with radio shack thermal paste
so the stock paste should work fine
February 27, 2006 10:24:03 PM

i was using the radio shack paste before. There was a big diffrence going from radio shack to artic 5.
February 27, 2006 10:40:26 PM

really i have never seen any diff in my experience
but i overclock and also dont see any diff in that either
oh by the you dont need any paste period my brother ran a barton 2800 on a k7n2 for almost 2 years with stock hsf and no paste
and it still works although i dont recomend it
February 27, 2006 10:45:51 PM

i forgot to add that the barton is now using paste
February 28, 2006 12:17:11 AM

meh, that's really overkill for an AMD processor. I found that out the hard way, buying a vantec tornado for a 3200...
stock fan/aluminum block of crap should be fine, although something else is flashier/better performing.
February 28, 2006 12:23:17 AM

i have a arctic freezer for my 3700 it didnt change temps at all
but my brother has a 3500 clawhammer and he put the same cooler on his and the temps went from 115f to 89 or 92 at idle
so thats seems pretty good
February 28, 2006 12:24:56 AM

san diego's and clawhammers are very different chips. sand diego's run cool, clawhammers run hot.
February 28, 2006 12:28:08 AM

yes his clawhammer is a 130nm and the sandy is 90nm
the volts are lower on the newer proceesors to
but most of you in here already know this stuff
!