Asus PDA and serial - ps/2 mouse connections

September 27, 2004 7:34:34 PM

Hi,

I have an asus mypal a620bt and a spare mouse gps reciever that i've used in
the past with my laptop computer.
The gps mouse has a serial lead, for the signal, and a ps/2 lead which it
uses to draw the power, does anyone know if its posssible
to connect this in some way to my PDA to save me purchasing an additional
gps device?

Thanks in Advance

Andrew
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 7:34:35 PM

the ps2 connector is simply tapping the 5v and ground lead in the
connector... see http://bevhoward.com/TripMate.htm for the ps2 pins

However, you can't power it from the pocketpc, but you can get a 4 AA or
AAA battery pack from radio shack and use that to power it or use a 5v
cigar lighter power supply.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 7:34:35 PM

you can use a ps2 "extension cord" to create an adapter cable to connect
to the existing cable.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 10:49:14 PM

"w3rd" <w3rd@--NOSPAM--gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an asus mypal a620bt and a spare mouse gps reciever that i've used
in
> the past with my laptop computer.
> The gps mouse has a serial lead, for the signal, and a ps/2 lead which it
> uses to draw the power, does anyone know if its posssible
> to connect this in some way to my PDA to save me purchasing an additional
> gps device?
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Andrew

I'm not sure if all the serial connections are available in an Asus, but
pda- serial connectors are available for GPS units. Try asking at these
suppliers if you can't see what you need, both do gps cables for ppc's:
http://www.pc-mobile.net/asus.htm
http://www.thesupplynet.com/
!