dissembled

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
What's the gold standard these days for mice and keyboard when it comes to high powered, high performance gaming? I don't want to spend $100 on a mouse or anything crazy like that, but I'm wondering what's accepted as great gear for good $$.

And on a side note, how is wireless keyboard and mice for gaming? Can they keep up when it comes to response times?

Thanks

Phear

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I am on my 2nd generation of wireless keyboard & mouse setup for gaming. My first generation was pretty decent, as long as the signal receiver was directlly in front of the keyboard and mouse; there was no mouse or keyboard delay when playing any FPS games. However, after awhile i did notice that I would start getting signal degration, and the mouse would just go where ever it felt like. Although, if i picked up the mouse and shook it or blow off the laser eye, it would be fine again. This happend quite frequently, which led me to eventually upgrade. Not sure why it happend so much; not like the mouse pad was dirty in anyway or the gaming area.

My 2nd generation of wireless keyboard and mouse is the new BlueTooth design. I am very impressed that there are absolutly no wires with this design. There is simply a jumpdrive looking usb device that plugs into the back of your computer and you are set to go. However, I am having some similar problems with this generation that I had with the last. When I play games with the bluetooth set-up, frequently i get lag delay with the mouse and pc (i would move the mouse to the left and 5 sec. later it would actuallly move to the left). Moreover, every once in awhile the keyboard and or mouse would go completly dead for maybe 10-15 sec then kick back in as if nothing happend.

By the way, these 2 set-ups have been on 2 different PCs, so i have my doubts that its my pc and not the wireless setup itself. However, i will be runing tests with a regular keyboard and mouse to see if i get the same re sponses.

Overall, I personally prefer wireless setups and the benefits have out weighed the anoying side affects to date. However, my patcience has been wearing rather thin on the bluetooth setup as it is putting a big cramp in my game playing. I am seriously considering going back to regular keyboard and mouse now; unless my tests come back thats its not the wireless setup but my pc.

Hope this post gives you some insight on wireless setups. Not trying to discourage you from wireless, but jsut be aware of some potential problems. :)

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
What's the gold standard these days for mice and keyboard when it comes to high powered, high performance gaming? I don't want to spend $100 on a mouse or anything crazy like that, but I'm wondering what's accepted as great gear for good $$.

Well, I can strongly recommend the Logitech G5, but that is the top end of the market, so they're not cheap. I've heard some good reviews on Razer mice which are cheaper, and many gamers prefer them.

Keyboard: I have the G15, but I'm a big fan of Logitech, and again it's not cheap. I'm sure there are other more reasonably priced keyboards out there that will do the job.

And on a side note, how is wireless keyboard and mice for gaming? Can they keep up when it comes to response times?

Most people would not advise using a wireless mouse for gaming, although the G7 (Logitech again) is supposed to perform up to gaming standards. Again though, it's expensive.

I have used wireless keyboards in the past, and not had any problems gaming with them, but I think the purists would go for corded.

Hope this helps

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
I own a razer copperhead and it not only looks good but the performance of this thing is unreal. With DPI on the fly you can adjust your sensitivity in game (two buttons on the side of the mouse) and there not in the way so you wont accidently push them. I personally wouldnt reccoment wireless anything for gaming, setting money aside, for the simple reason that sometimes even the smallest glitch in the keyboard or mouse can cause you to miss a kill in games. And thats frustrating when you are playing against 11 year olds who rave and rant everytime they kill you.

dissembled

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I think you guys have helped convince me to stay away from wireless. It's kinda convenient, but not really worth that much plus I hate changing batteries all the time.

I've been doing some looking at the Razer and the Logitech MX518. They seem to be pretty close competitors to each other.

Anyone else have any input to compare the two?

I have the logitech mx-518. Being able to change the resolution on the fly is a bonus and I've always liked the feel of the logitech mx series mouse. I haven't used the Razor, but as far as I know, the mx-518 is for right handed people. I don't know if they have a version for lefties.

The Saitek gamers keyboard is pretty good. If you don't need the programmable pad & keys then the saitek eclipse is essentailly the same keyboard minus the keypad & programability. They are comfortable for gaming, at least for me and have the advantage of being backlit for any night time gaming.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I have been using the Logitech MX 1000 Laser Mouse for Half-Life and it is amazingly good!

I am always looking for better mouses though!
("Mice" are animals!)

Alpha4

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Amen Tuna! I've lost count of how many times people ignorantly correct me when I refer to pluralized computer mouse as 'Mouses". :lol:

Anyway, most gamers benefit from not having stiff keys on their keyboard, a quality some office keyboards exhibit. If a keyboard is specifically rated for "gaming" on the box, such as Saitek Gaming keyboards, than chances are the WSAD keys will feel like cotton to the touch ;). Personally I prefer Micro Keyboards, or keyboards with laptop style keys. (what're they technically called?) Backlighting certainly wouldn't hurt.

As for a gaming mouse, umm... If you're looking for a good mouse on a low budget, I recommend the Microsoft Laser 6000. It offers 1000dpi capture @ 125 reports per second over USB. Its not as feature rich as the Logitech G5, which is the best corded mouse I can recommend to anyone. :roll: the G7, if it performs as well as people suggest, would be the icing on the cake.

By the way... Can anyone identify the keyboard on the 8 Gallons of Oil DIY rig? U can see it on the bottom right of this photo:
oelpc_player.jpg

thanx a million in advance if you can1

dissembled

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I decided to go with the Logitech MX518 mouse and the WolfKing Timber Wolf keyboard.

Once I get the new rig all put together I'll post back what I think of them.....if you care.

Alpha4

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Congratz bro! The 518 will serve you well.
As for the Timberwolf keyboard, you'll hafta fill me in on that.

by the way, you might want to also consider a gaming grade mousepad or even some teflon mouse feet. :/

ecutoni

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I decided to go with the Logitech MX518 mouse and the WolfKing Timber Wolf keyboard.

We care :), anyways great choice of mouse. Havent heard about the keyboard before, but i know that MX518 is top of the line for gaming in those fps games. I myself use the MX518 and have been satisfied with it from they day i bought it. But as Alpha4 says you should consider investing in a decent mousepad. I use the SteelPad QcK+, which is perfect for "low sensetivity gamers" beceause of the size.

Its cloth and hey, i guess its natural starting with a supermarket 5$ clothpad and ending up with a superior 15$ clothpad as the QcK. Its really nice. Check it out here on newegg or simply jump by www.steelseries.com where you can read reviews of the QcK, and by the way check out their other pads. They are pretty famous for their high quality mousepads in the gaming envoirment.