We want a "Printer-Friendly" version of THG articl

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
What has this site become? You can go to any other website on the world wide web and the administrator with give you a print button to print out articles for your to-go pleasure. But oh-no, not the good-ole'-boys of THG.

I want every THG visitor to DEMAND our right to hardcopy printing. As one, we can overthrow this tearanious website, and make it a better place for new THG visitors.

I would like everyone to join me and email you local THG mod and let them know how you feel. The world is now ours.

eviltechie

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
He means a printer friendly version.

I'd bet the reason that this has not been done is to give greater exposure to their advertisers. If there is a "printer-friendly" version that includes all the pages in plain text why would anyone read the version with the ads?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
What has this site become? You can go to any other website on the world wide web and the administrator with give you a print button to print out articles for your to-go pleasure. But oh-no, not the good-ole'-boys of THG.

I want every THG visitor to DEMAND our right to hardcopy printing. As one, we can overthrow this tearanious website, and make it a better place for new THG visitors.

I would like everyone to join me and email you local THG mod and let them know how you feel. The world is now ours.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The site is free, and depends on advertisers, which means they want people to see the ads by visiting the site. Besides, its not that hard to highlight the text you want and rebuild an article in a text editor if you so desire.

Loup Garou

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I think a print button is a real good idea. If anybody need to see how its done, check any article at Annan tech. Makes printing a lot easier. If you can afford the ink.

ocularis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
YES YES YES.
Every website should have a Printer Friendly option, at least for the articles. THG, I still read your articles the old-fashioned way (clicking from page to page with all the wonderful ads), but if I want to keep a hard copy you make it overly difficult. Yeah, copying and pasting into Word would get it done, but that is extremely tedious with some articles stretching 20 pages or more! THG needs to listen to their readers on this one. We are the customers after all. I've been visiting this site since about 1997 when there was still a guy named Thomas Pabst and he wrote all the articles on here. So I guess I'm saying that I'm a loyal reader and I'm not asking too much to get a printer-friendly button am I?

unreal_nl

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The site is free, and depends on advertisers, which means they want people to see the ads by visiting the site. Besides, its not that hard to highlight the text you want and rebuild an article in a text editor if you so desire.

Maybe because people after eading the article the want to keep a ahrd copy of it ;)

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Maybe because people after eading the article the want to keep a ahrd copy of it ;)

Why don't you guys try looking down below

"...It is illegal to copy or redistribute this information in any way without the expressed written consent of TG Publishing AG. Please use the Content Permission Form for such requests."

These articles are intellectual property, and as such, it is completely up to TG whether we are even allowed to save hard copies or not.

fluxpunk

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Hey if u been visiting since 1997 how have you managed not to join until Feb 27, 2006?

When i first found this site i had to join

little tip for free (within windows) select the text you want then file, print and tick selection in print range

as for the text bottom of the page

"...It is illegal to copy or redistribute this information in any way without the expressed written consent of TG Publishing AG. Please use the Content Permission Form for such requests."

its quite funny really cos in college we lernt about in dept copywrite and everyone who views a website breaks copywirte law cos they download a copy of the website to temp files, there has actully been cases where companies have tried to sue people (how sad) dont think any of them one a battle though

also the other day i found this build pc guide

compare the pics to the ones from toms hardwre sitebuild pc guide

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Don't misunderstand, I am not a strict supporter of copywright laws, and I know that electronic copywright is its own animal. My point is that it is up to THG whether or not they publish a print button, and not really within our rights to "Demand" one.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You live in the bloody digital age, and you want to work with paper???

Discuss.

I can honestly say I don't get the urge to print out any articles. They are easy enough to find when I want them, plus most tech articles are dated pretty quickly. If I do want to keep them, its pretty easy for me to print them to pdf.

ocularis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Hey if u been visiting since 1997 how have you managed not to join until Feb 27, 2006?

I guess it did not occur to you that someone could just read the articles on the site without feeling the need to join a forum. Besides, back in that day there were no forums on Tom's Hardware. Just one man and a few well-written articles about computer hardware. My how times have changed. I joined the forums as of late because I thought that I could be of help to some of the posters and also try to clear up some of the misinformation that is being spread by false but otherwise good-intentioned people.

ocularis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
You live in the bloody digital age, and you want to work with paper???
Discuss.

No Omid. You Discuss how you can be so dismissing to your loyal readership. The fans built this site. Tom's may not have been the first, but it was the best. It was the best, at least before you hired a bunch of kids out of high school with A+ certs at best to fill up this site with absolute crap. The only goal of which is to have daily updates that appear to be meaningful but are usually just rehashed press releases from every other website out there. I guess this site serves the advertisers first and the viewers, well they'd be lucky to get the top ten. Sad, very sad what this place has become. I'm sure it is convenient to live in the 'bloody digital age' when you have your multimillion dollar salary and can easily distance yourself and look down upon the working geeks like myself which made the site so popular in the first place. There are only about 5% of articles on this site which would be worth printing anyway.

My point is 'Give the readers what they want.' And don't worry Omid. No-one will bother "printer-friendlying" any of your pointless articles.

Facey

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
It seems there are printer friendly versions! :)

I just noticed the news stories on the hardware site were going to the news stories folder directory instead of strait to the story. The dir contains print.html which is a printable version of the news story! So I tried slapping print.html on the end of an articles URL and it brings up a printable version of the article! I duno if they have just added this, or if it was there for a while...

Article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/05/the_65_nm_pentium_d_900s_coming_out_party/

Printable Version:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/05/the_65_nm_pentium_d_900s_coming_out_party/print.html

It seems to work for all articles. Here is one from June 2004:

Normal:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/06/14/making_digital_home_movies/

Printable:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/06/14/making_digital_home_movies/print.html

:D

My guess is they have recently added it, and will put a printable version button on the pages soon. :p