Epson Stylus C84 Ink Resetting

I am finding some truth to comments about unused ink cartriges In the
Stylus C84 registering as empty when they still sound full(colors go
empty even when you just print black). I am wondering how safe it
would be to use an chip resetter on a cartrige without refilling it and
allowing it to print until it truly is empty. Would there be a risk of
some air getting injected into the head (when the cartrige runs out),
thus ruining another printer (already went through one printer and got
it replaced through warranty, but I think that was just from leaving
the printer unused too long -- I don't have a resetter right now).
2 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus resetting

    It's fine. You get much more ink out of the cartridges up to another 33-50%.
    Just have an extra cartridge around so when you notice you actually running
    out of ink (look at print quality) you can replace the cartridge to avoid
    problems like you speak of.

    <BlueMonkMN@email.com> wrote in message
    >I am finding some truth to comments about unused ink cartriges In the
    > Stylus C84 registering as empty when they still sound full(colors go
    > empty even when you just print black). I am wondering how safe it
    > would be to use an chip resetter on a cartrige without refilling it and
    > allowing it to print until it truly is empty. Would there be a risk of
    > some air getting injected into the head (when the cartrige runs out),
    > thus ruining another printer (already went through one printer and got
    > it replaced through warranty, but I think that was just from leaving
    > the printer unused too long -- I don't have a resetter right now).

    Epson heads, unlike other brands, do not really produce heat of any
    consequence. They use a piezo vibration system. As far as I can
    determine, the head is not protected by the ink. The older Epson
    printers had no status monitor for ink levels and would just run out of
    ink, and they seemed to survive.

    The one problem that can occur is an air lock. The newer heads are much
    smaller, and sometimes it takes some doing to get the cartridge started
    if the head has air in it. There are a few tricks to limit this air
    lock, and usually it is reversible with a couple of cleaning cycles, but
    if you are still saving ink at that point is the question.

    What might make more sense, is to take the leftover ink from several
    cartridges (obviously of the same color) and put it into one cartridge.
    There are several websites that discuss filling these types of
    cartridges with ink.

    Art

    BlueMonkMN@email.com wrote:

    > I am finding some truth to comments about unused ink cartriges In the
    > Stylus C84 registering as empty when they still sound full(colors go
    > empty even when you just print black). I am wondering how safe it
    > would be to use an chip resetter on a cartrige without refilling it and
    > allowing it to print until it truly is empty. Would there be a risk of
    > some air getting injected into the head (when the cartrige runs out),
    > thus ruining another printer (already went through one printer and got
    > it replaced through warranty, but I think that was just from leaving
    > the printer unused too long -- I don't have a resetter right now).

Printers Stylus Epson Peripherals