XP Service Pack 2 made me deaf

Since installing XP Service Pack 2 I no longer have system sounds:

The volume icon no longer appears in the system tray & in Control Panel \
Sound & Audio Devices Properties I'm told "No Audio Device", which I
can't seem to alter.

In Device Manager my sound card is shown as working properly\enabled etc.
And it plays CD's etc no problem.

I've been going round & round with this- and half suspect i'm just being
daft -but won't someone put me out of misery

--
TrickTrash

---
More about service pack made deaf

    If I understand the problem: you have sound ("plays CD's") but
    the volume icon disappeared from the system tray. If that is the
    case, in Control Panel / Sounds / Volume tab / place
    checkmark in "Place volume icon on taskbar" / OK . If it was
    checked, uncheck it, press Apply, recheck it, Apply and OK. If
    the icon still does not appear in the system tray, sometimes a
    restart will fix things like this.

    George

    "TrickTrash" <guardclone-news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Since installing XP Service Pack 2 I no longer have system
    sounds:

    > The volume icon no longer appears in the system tray & in
    Control Panel \
    > Sound & Audio Devices Properties I'm told "No Audio Device",
    which I
    > can't seem to alter.
    >
    > In Device Manager my sound card is shown as working
    properly\enabled etc.
    > And it plays CD's etc no problem.
    >
    > I've been going round & round with this- and half suspect i'm
    just being
    > daft -but won't someone put me out of misery
    >
    > --
    > TrickTrash
    >

    > ---
    27/08/2004

    I'm not haveing any sound issues.....I'm having pop up
    blocker messing with games and such that I play......Does
    any one know how I can totally remove it from my puter? I
    have other virus protection so I don't want this one...I
    don't like it...
    Thanks
    Leslie

    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    >27/08/2004
    >>

    >.

    in Internet Explorer, on the tools menu is pop-up blocker options.

    --
    Thanks,
    Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE

Windows XP