motherboard that can upgrade to am2 cpu on newegg

unreal111

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
ofcourse it does, go to the spec.

i think the price of this mobo will go above $100 once it gets very popular, i was reading the review of this mobo they are pretty good

linux_0

Splendid
Tru64 but you still have to purchase an AMD64 AM2 and the special card which plugs into the proprietary connector on the motherboard along with DDR2.

It is a great deal for the $ however.

The real question is how fast is that presumably proprietary slot.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I think this is bullshit. The mounting bracket for AM2 is totally different than the one for 939, and that board has no mention of that or no mounting bracket in the items included. Even if you bought an aftermarket heatsink, you still need the back side mounting bracket which is totally different !

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I think this is bullshit. The mounting bracket for AM2 is totally different than the one for 939, and that board has no mention of that or no mounting bracket in the items included. Even if you bought an aftermarket heatsink, you still need the back side mounting bracket which is totally different !

It doesn't use the same processor socket. If you look at the picture of the board, it has a seperate slot to add the riser card too, which is where the CPU would go. How fast that may be is anyone's guess. And how expensive/available. The Dual SATA2 has the same slot, but it can be used with either AGP or PCI-E

twall

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
do i dare to be that sucker?

Umm .. No.

Eventhough it is a tempting deal, something does not feel right :?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
do i dare to be that sucker?

Umm .. No.

Eventhough it is a tempting deal, something does not feel right :?

I am thinking of buying an Asrock Dual SATA2 for its AGP/PCI-E capability. It has the same option, If I do, I will let you guys know if they ever release the expansion.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
This is all speculation, but I'm with AK here.

Either of the Asrock boards would be a great choice if you want to get into Socket 939 and still keep your AGP card to save money. But I wouldn't buy it for it's upgradability into the AM2 platform, at least until there's been some testing once AM2 arrives. There's no data available right now to see if there would be any bottlenecks and the like.

Anybody remember the PII upgrade you could buy for your old Socket 7 boards. It was basically a Slot 1 Celeron slapped onto a PCI card, meaning it ran on the PCI card's 33 MHZ bus. Great upgrade [/sarcasm].

I'm not saying this is the case here, but I think a little patience is called for here.

twall

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
Come to think about it, it is cheap, and there's so many options and stuff. Do next time i need to build a computer, i might take a look at this mobo.

This is a transition board. I wouldn't buy this. Wait until full production AM2 boards are released, and even then, wait another 3 months for the better BIOS release and bug fixes. Buy this now and chances are you'll buying another one when the production models are released later this year. This is a waste of money. Only buy this if you want a low end piece of s*it or want to brag about buying an AM2 mobo before everyone else. C'mon, we're talking about an ASRock mobo and ULI chipset...ASRock=cheap peice of s*hit!