Sign in with
Your question

need help on NIC's

Last response: in Components
February 27, 2006 11:21:12 PM

I have four Intel PCI Pro 10/100 cards and they are installed on Dell OptiPlex with FreeBSD as OS.

I can see four "fxp?" interfaces. When I connect them to a switch, they are showed as "active". But only two of them are actually working (passing traffic). Another two are not working properly; I can ping them (after I configured IP addresses for them) but I can't ping any other machines on their own lan seqmenets, ie, I can't see beyond themselve.

What is the problem? IRQ conflicts?

Thanks in Advance

More about : nic

October 16, 2006 8:19:17 AM

Check if the the subnets are open enough to reach each other? Check their routing tables to make sure they're able to get to each other.
October 16, 2006 9:56:03 AM

This is quite possibly a software configuration issue and you might find that you get a quicker answer if you moved this over to the Linux forum (although I do know some of that crew hang out round here too).

In the spirit of a hardware issue though I would swap the cards with those from the working subnets and rule it out. You could also try taking a card you know works and testing each subnet individualy. If each works independantly then it might indeed be a conflict.
October 16, 2006 10:54:36 AM

I had a similar problem. Go into the Bios and disable everything that you can. Also remove any sound card or other unnecessary card. Make sure that FreeBSD recognizes 4 network interfaces.
!