Stick versus Yoke controlled planes

Hi Mel;

I always preferred a center stick in real life. It puts you right down the
axis of the fuselage. Especially in low altitude aerobatics, you "point" the
airplane where you want it to go and top rudder is actually top rudder and
bottom rudder is actually bottom rudder. It's a solid feeling of control.
You get used to whatever you're using after a while.
The strangest feeling I ever had flying an airplane was in a Luscombe 8A. It
had side by side seating and a stick. Flying from the left seat and being
right handed with a stick took a bit of getting used to, but even that
became somewhat familiar after about 15 minutes. Of course from the right
seat it would have felt better :)
Dudley

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

dallas

"Lawn Dart"
> I would be interested to read the opinions of both simulated and/or
> real world pilots here;

I recall you mentioning that before and almost made a comment. Personally,
my mind does not perceive a difference between the two and I have no
preference. I have a good joystick that only requires me to switch plugs to
use, but I never think about it and continue to use the yoke.

I've flown both in real life and I don't really think about it. The last
plane I flew was a Grumman Tiger and I really can remember if it was a stick
or yoke. :)

Dallas

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

> I always preferred a center stick in real life. It puts you right down the
> axis of the fuselage. Especially in low altitude aerobatics, you "point"
the
> airplane where you want it to go and top rudder is actually top rudder and
> bottom rudder is actually bottom rudder. It's a solid feeling of control.
> You get used to whatever you're using after a while.
> The strangest feeling I ever had flying an airplane was in a Luscombe 8A.
It
> had side by side seating and a stick. Flying from the left seat and being
> right handed with a stick took a bit of getting used to, but even that
> became somewhat familiar after about 15 minutes. Of course from the right
> seat it would have felt better :)
> Dudley

Did you ever get the chance to fly a real Spitfire Dudley? Its only fairly
recently that I realised how a Spitfires stick (control column?) was
constructed and operated its aileron function. I'd have thought it would
make the aircraft more difficult to control, but obviously this was/is not
the case.

http://tinyurl.com/bz4ep

"Colin" <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote in message
>> I always preferred a center stick in real life. It puts you right down
>> the
>> axis of the fuselage. Especially in low altitude aerobatics, you "point"
> the
>> airplane where you want it to go and top rudder is actually top rudder
>> and
>> bottom rudder is actually bottom rudder. It's a solid feeling of control.
>> You get used to whatever you're using after a while.
>> The strangest feeling I ever had flying an airplane was in a Luscombe 8A.
> It
>> had side by side seating and a stick. Flying from the left seat and being
>> right handed with a stick took a bit of getting used to, but even that
>> became somewhat familiar after about 15 minutes. Of course from the right
>> seat it would have felt better :)
>> Dudley
>
> Did you ever get the chance to fly a real Spitfire Dudley? Its only fairly
> recently that I realised how a Spitfires stick (control column?) was
> constructed and operated its aileron function. I'd have thought it would
> make the aircraft more difficult to control, but obviously this was/is not
> the case.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bz4ep

Yes. I flew the Mk 16 Merlin powered Spitfire. The spade did take a bit of
getting used to, but was quite natural for me by the time I had done the run
up. The brakes took a bit longer but once I got used to not having to hold
both pedals down during the runup, they were ok as well.
I think I did utter a few unkind remarks about the designers of the brake
system however, before I reached this point. :))
DH

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net>
: Hi,
:
<snip>
: I would be interested to read the opinions of both simulated and/or
: real world pilots here; especially if you have a distinct preference
: for one type of controller over another, and if this influences
: greatly your preference for particular models of aircraft over
: others.
:
: Thanks!
:
: - --
: Melissa

As a mechanic, lemme tellya, a stick beats a yoke any day - especially
if I'm under the panel fixin' your avionics.

Dave

dallas

"boB"
> If I was flying for the fun of it I flew left seat
> with the stick in my right hand.

That's F-16 style.

> But instructing from the left seat, the throttle is now in my
> right hand and the stick is in my left.

That's Airbus style.

Dallas

dallas

"boB"
> http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs29&d=05201&f=ultra01.jpg

Hey, I got enthusiastic Friday night and started to fly down to see you in
Kempner in the Challenger II. It was getting thunderstormie so I decided to
head for the airfield at Lake Whitney State Park and put up for the night.
(Must be a nice place, I'm still there.)

The most sophisticated navigation device on the Challenger is the magnetic
compass. I am here to tell you that pure VFR navigation without using GPS
or map view in FS9, even with USA roads, is extremely difficult. Add to
that, my sectional for San Antonio is dated 1993 and there is a lake in FS9
that does not appear in my old sectional. I was pulling my hair out trying
to figure out where I was. I was not lost, but my chart was telling me I
was lost. I'm glad it wasn't real life. :)

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "boB"
>
>>http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs29&d=05201&f=ultra01.jpg
>

> Hey, I got enthusiastic Friday night and started to fly down to see you in
> Kempner in the Challenger II. It was getting thunderstormie so I decided to
> head for the airfield at Lake Whitney State Park and put up for the night.
> (Must be a nice place, I'm still there.)
>
> The most sophisticated navigation device on the Challenger is the magnetic
> compass. I am here to tell you that pure VFR navigation without using GPS
> or map view in FS9, even with USA roads, is extremely difficult. Add to
> that, my sectional for San Antonio is dated 1993 and there is a lake in FS9
> that does not appear in my old sectional. I was pulling my hair out trying
> to figure out where I was. I was not lost, but my chart was telling me I
> was lost. I'm glad it wasn't real life. :)
>

> Dallas

It's easy to find. I'll put out the smoke pots. There's no traffic on
this road out where we are. Easy landing and take-off. I'll post a
better map. :)

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lawn Dart wrote:

> What about planes that have the stick located directly in front of the
> pilot's seat? My RealAir planes have this arrangement. Even the
> SF.260, which has the pilot sitting in the right seat, has two
> sticks; one for the right seat, and one for the left, with each stick
> centered in front of each seat. And then, there are the Decathlon
> and Scout, which are tandem seating planes, with the stick directly
> in front of the seat. In these cases, is it customary to use either
> hand to deal with the stick depending on whatever else needs to be
> dealt with at any given moment?

The helicopters I've flown are all centered cyclic (stick) except for
the front seat of a Cobra. That one is F-16 style.

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "boB"
>
>>http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs29&d=05201&f=ultra01.jpg
>

> Hey, I got enthusiastic Friday night and started to fly down to see you in
> Kempner in the Challenger II. It was getting thunderstormie so I decided to
> head for the airfield at Lake Whitney State Park and put up for the night.
> (Must be a nice place, I'm still there.)
>
> The most sophisticated navigation device on the Challenger is the magnetic
> compass. I am here to tell you that pure VFR navigation without using GPS
> or map view in FS9, even with USA roads, is extremely difficult. Add to
> that, my sectional for San Antonio is dated 1993 and there is a lake in FS9
> that does not appear in my old sectional. I was pulling my hair out trying
> to figure out where I was. I was not lost, but my chart was telling me I
> was lost. I'm glad it wasn't real life. :)
>

> Dallas

Here is the map to my place. The County Road I live on isn't shown.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs29&d=05201&f=2map01.jpg

Worked on the program Maxivista and was about to log in to their forum
when suddenly it worked. It works fine on my P133 computer with an old
14 inch monitor and I'll probably try to get the P100 laptop to work
next. Until then the 3d monitor is great for the moving map.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs29&d=05201&f=3mon01.jpg

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> And then there's Dudley's comment, which had me slightly confused, as
> I think I'd feel just the opposite:

> Dudley...are you referring here to *you* being right handed, and
> preferring to hold the stick with your left hand?
>
> - --
> Melissa

I learned to fly in airplanes with center sticks and yokes. being right
handed, the center stick was perfect for me, as the throttle was on my left
side. It felt natural. Conversely, when flying the yokes from the left seat,
I made the transition to a left hand on the yoke and right hand on the
throttle without any issues strangely enough. It didn't feel unnatural at
all. Also, instructing in yoke equipped airplanes from the right seat was
just more natural and easier for me.
What wasn't natural at all for me was a side by side stick arrangement in
the left seat like the Luscombe.
What causes the strange feeling for some pilots is the left/push and
right/pull lateral movement on a vertical stick. After flying a center
stick with the right hand, your mind gets "handed" with a comfort setting.
Your mind takes a bit of time to adjust to the new movement with a different
arm being used. It's a strange sensation for a while, but the mind
compensates and then it's no big deal. Strangely enough, this only seems to
effect sticks and not yokes. The natural rocker movement side to side on a
yoke top seems to be much more natural than a vertical hold on a stick for
some pilots.
In actual flying, one would want to be aware of this, as during your first
few flights using this setup your mind could conceivably revert back and
cause you to move the stick the wrong way to correct laterally at just the
wrong time on a landing.
The solution is simply to take the airplane upstairs and work it for a while
in turns. That's what I did with the Luscombe.
Dudley

As for yoke versus stick. I have got used to flying with both, but given the
chance I would always choose a stick IRL. If I wanted half a steering wheel
I would stay in a car :)

I could never BUY an aircraft fitted with a yoke, or even a yolk, as I read
the other day!

Cheers,

Quilly

An individual reply goes into my spam filter

TRENDING THREADS