Sign in with
Your question

motherboard and number of nic's

Last response: in Components
February 28, 2006 1:26:32 AM

Hi:

Could anyone recommand a motherboard that will host at least four nic's? I am using OptiPlex and it has shared irqs, which means it only host two nics simutaneously, even it comes with 5 pci slots.

Thanks

More about : motherboard number nic

February 28, 2006 1:36:10 AM

I've put four nics in lots of old computers, make sure you're not using isa nics! Also make sure the bios is set to plug and play mode. Or get a new mb with dual integrated nics and add two.
February 28, 2006 1:52:17 AM

Quote:
I've put four nics in lots of old computers, make sure you're not using isa nics! Also make sure the bios is set to plug and play mode. Or get a new mb with dual integrated nics and add two.

Thanks...:) . Well, I have for intel nics (Intel pro 10/100 pci) on OptiPlex and only two are working. Seem to me, they have shared irqs.
Related resources
February 28, 2006 2:59:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks...:) . Well, I have for intel nics (Intel pro 10/100 pci) on OptiPlex and only two are working. Seem to me, they have shared irqs.

Yep, they have shared irqs. I put four intel cards in one machine and only two are working ... depends on which two configured first.
March 3, 2006 8:38:16 AM

Windows XP handles the IRQ sharing. You will typically find lots of devices using the same IRQ. See this article ........ click me !

Unless you have teaming software you won't be able to use all cards as a single NIC interface, or are you interested in multi-homing your PC ?
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2006 2:59:49 AM

Buy a FOUR PORT CARD and watch your multiple controller issues go away!
!