motherboard and number of nic's

ipfreak

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Hi:

Could anyone recommand a motherboard that will host at least four nic's? I am using OptiPlex and it has shared irqs, which means it only host two nics simutaneously, even it comes with 5 pci slots.

Thanks

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've put four nics in lots of old computers, make sure you're not using isa nics! Also make sure the bios is set to plug and play mode. Or get a new mb with dual integrated nics and add two.

ipfreak

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I've put four nics in lots of old computers, make sure you're not using isa nics! Also make sure the bios is set to plug and play mode. Or get a new mb with dual integrated nics and add two.

Thanks...:). Well, I have for intel nics (Intel pro 10/100 pci) on OptiPlex and only two are working. Seem to me, they have shared irqs.

ipfreak

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006

Thanks...:). Well, I have for intel nics (Intel pro 10/100 pci) on OptiPlex and only two are working. Seem to me, they have shared irqs.

Yep, they have shared irqs. I put four intel cards in one machine and only two are working ... depends on which two configured first.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Windows XP handles the IRQ sharing. You will typically find lots of devices using the same IRQ. See this article ........ click me !

Unless you have teaming software you won't be able to use all cards as a single NIC interface, or are you interested in multi-homing your PC ?

TRENDING THREADS