Please tell me what a Touch and Go involves, and why it's ..

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me on why touch and goes are performed.

I can't see the point, I maybe missing something here, of doing one
of these on a airport.

With Thanks

Nick
8 answers Last reply
More about please touch involves

    Nick,
    One of the most difficult tasks that a pilot faces is taking off and
    landing an airplane. Flying from point "A" to point "B" is a snap compared
    to taking off and landing. I read somewhere that aircraft landings and
    takeoffs result in the highest percentage of all aircraft accidents.
    Therefore pilots often practice "touch-and-goes" simply for that reason; for
    the practice. If you think about what is involved in landing an airplane,
    you will understand why. While landing a pilot must: control airspeed,
    control altitude, control rate of descent, control pitch attitude, control
    flap settings, control lateral position with respect to the runway, adjust
    for crosswind, adjust for sinking air (or rising air), monitor other traffic
    in the pattern, adjust positioning & speed with other traffic to avoid
    collisions, if flying into an uncontrolled airfield the pilot must
    self-announce over the radio all pattern legs. This is a fairly heavy
    workload, but if practiced over and over again, becomes easier and easier.
    When I fly in real life, I very seldom make just one takeoff and one
    landing. A typical flight for me is to take off from the local airport, and
    fly about 30-50 miles to a any number of smaller, uncontrolled airports
    where I will fly 4-5 "touch-and-goes". Then I will depart the pattern at the
    2nd airport, and fly back to my home airport, which is in class C airspace
    and has radar control. After contacting Approach control, I'll request to
    "remain in the pattern" and fly 4-5 "touch-and-goes" at my home airport.
    This allows me to get a good number of practice takeoffs and landings in a
    single flight, from an controlled and uncontrolled field.
    I think you will find that if you try some T&G's in flight simulator,
    that you will get progressively better and better at your takeoffs and
    landings.

    Randy L.

    TotallNovice wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me on why touch and goes are performed.
    >
    > I can't see the point, I maybe missing something here, of doing one
    > of these on a airport.
    >
    > With Thanks
    >
    > Nick

    A touch and go is a sensible way of practising a landing and takeoff without
    having to stop and taxy round to the beginning of the runway again, Perhaps
    'Touch and go' is not a very accurate description of the practice, because
    you land properly and then use the rest of the runway to take off again
    properly. It isn't quite just a touch!
    When you are learning it saves a lot of time and avgas, hence expense :-)

    --
    Cheers,

    Quilly

    An individual reply goes into my spam filter

    Nick,

    They are to practice final approach and landings. In the limited time
    available in a flying lesson you can get more landings in this way.

    Regards

    Jon

    "TotallNovice" <nick2000@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me on why touch and goes are performed.
    >
    > I can't see the point, I maybe missing something here, of doing one
    > of these on a airport.
    >
    > With Thanks
    >
    > Nick

    Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.

    I never thought of that one. Iv'e heard it on the scanner and also
    observed it on the flight sim, didn'y know why, now I do.

    Thanks Again

    Nick

    Jon Silk wrote:
    > Nick,
    >
    > They are to practice final approach and landings. In the limited time
    > available in a flying lesson you can get more landings in this way.

    It's not just landings, either. You get to practice everything in one
    condensed period: takeoff, leveling off, turning, lining up for finals,
    and landing.

    ....And, if you don't do a good job, you also practice energency exiting
    from the aircraft, running from flames, and maybe rolling on the ground
    while being put out...

    John

    --
    To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

    Where do you fly RandyL?
    There is a growing trend here in the UK to charge something like half the
    landing fee for a touch and go at towered airfields.

    Some people started to claim missed approaches to get round this, other
    airfields allowed them to practice approaches and then fly 100' AGL along
    the runway centre line. The charge only cam in if they touched down, 'wear
    and tear' on the tarmac.

    I haven't looked for about 2 years after I gave up dreams of real flying, so
    I don't know if this has resolved yet.

    "RandyL" <rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > Nick,
    > One of the most difficult tasks that a pilot faces is taking off and
    > landing an airplane. Flying from point "A" to point "B" is a snap compared
    > to taking off and landing. I read somewhere that aircraft landings and
    > takeoffs result in the highest percentage of all aircraft accidents.
    > Therefore pilots often practice "touch-and-goes" simply for that reason;
    > for the practice. If you think about what is involved in landing an
    > airplane, you will understand why. While landing a pilot must: control
    > airspeed, control altitude, control rate of descent, control pitch
    > attitude, control flap settings, control lateral position with respect to
    > the runway, adjust for crosswind, adjust for sinking air (or rising air),
    > monitor other traffic in the pattern, adjust positioning & speed with
    > other traffic to avoid collisions, if flying into an uncontrolled airfield
    > the pilot must self-announce over the radio all pattern legs. This is a
    > fairly heavy workload, but if practiced over and over again, becomes
    > easier and easier.
    > When I fly in real life, I very seldom make just one takeoff and one
    > landing. A typical flight for me is to take off from the local airport,
    > and fly about 30-50 miles to a any number of smaller, uncontrolled
    > airports where I will fly 4-5 "touch-and-goes". Then I will depart the
    > pattern at the 2nd airport, and fly back to my home airport, which is in
    > class C airspace and has radar control. After contacting Approach control,
    > I'll request to "remain in the pattern" and fly 4-5 "touch-and-goes" at my
    > home airport. This allows me to get a good number of practice takeoffs and
    > landings in a single flight, from an controlled and uncontrolled field.
    > I think you will find that if you try some T&G's in flight simulator,
    > that you will get progressively better and better at your takeoffs and
    > landings.
    >
    > Randy L.
    >
    > "TotallNovice" <nick2000@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Can anyone enlighten me on why touch and goes are performed.
    >>
    >> I can't see the point, I maybe missing something here, of doing one
    >> of these on a airport.
    >>
    >> With Thanks
    >>
    >> Nick

    Keith,
    At the local field that I use there is a landing fee, but only for
    aircraft above a certain gross weight. The small single-engine aircraft that
    I fly are way under this limit, so there are no landing fees involved for
    me.

    Randy L.

    "Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@removethis.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Where do you fly RandyL?
    > There is a growing trend here in the UK to charge something like half the
    > landing fee for a touch and go at towered airfields.
    >
    > Some people started to claim missed approaches to get round this, other
    > airfields allowed them to practice approaches and then fly 100' AGL along
    > the runway centre line. The charge only cam in if they touched down,
    > 'wear and tear' on the tarmac.
    >
    > I haven't looked for about 2 years after I gave up dreams of real flying,
    > so I don't know if this has resolved yet.

    It's also worth trying TGs on VATSIM. More and more class-D airports
    are being staffed, e.g., Santa Monica in SoCal, Roanoke in Virginia,
    and on Tuesday nights several airports in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    If the tower is on but no one's flying, request closed traffic and
    start flying the pattern. Someone's likely to join you in a minute or
    two, and at that point things get a lot more interesting.

Games Microsoft Video Games