Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Converting Excel docs?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:30:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

This is a very basic question. I've inherited an NEC
MobilePro 700 running Windows CE 2.0. I'm hoping to use
this for note taking and some project review work.

I need to use Word and Excel files. None of the files will
be complex ... no graphs, no complicated formulae or
formatting. I plan to transfer files between the NEC and
my PC (running Windows 2000) via a Compact Flash card
instead of direct serial connection.

I can get it to work with Word by using rtf files
(although the pocket word and windows files won't work
across platform) ... but I can't find anyway to read excel
files between the NEC and my PC. The NEC Pocket Excel
files can't be read by my PC; and none of the many Excel
formats I've tried on the PC can be read by the NEC.

I have no documentation with the NEC, just the unit
itself. Any advice on how to exchange files between the
NEC and my desktop?

Thanks!

More about : converting excel docs

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:56:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Install activesync that is on the cd that should be with the device and
check the "files" option in activesync on your desktop.

It will create a folder icon on your desktop... any word or excel files
that are then placed in that folder will be transferred to your nec the
next sync and since ce2 required these files to be converted, the sync
process will do that as part of the process.

If you do not have the original CD (silver, no pics with "Activesync" in
large bold) strongly suggest seeing if you can find version 3.1 or 3.5
for that device.

Note that full outlook is also on that companion cd, but the materials
also included (on paper) the activation code which is necessary to
install it and have the pim contacts/calendar/notes/tasks sync capabilities.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:55:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"jbsteinb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:468d01c4a4af$538d0780$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> This is a very basic question. I've inherited an NEC
> MobilePro 700 running Windows CE 2.0. I'm hoping to use
> this for note taking and some project review work.
>
> I need to use Word and Excel files. None of the files will
> be complex ... no graphs, no complicated formulae or
> formatting. I plan to transfer files between the NEC and
> my PC (running Windows 2000) via a Compact Flash card
> instead of direct serial connection.
>
> I can get it to work with Word by using rtf files
> (although the pocket word and windows files won't work
> across platform) ... but I can't find anyway to read excel
> files between the NEC and my PC. The NEC Pocket Excel
> files can't be read by my PC; and none of the many Excel
> formats I've tried on the PC can be read by the NEC.
>
> I have no documentation with the NEC, just the unit
> itself. Any advice on how to exchange files between the
> NEC and my desktop?
>
> Thanks!

does your synchronising software not convert if you copy the files over to
your pc through it?
Related resources
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:55:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thank you for the helpful replies. As it happens, I don't
have any of the original software and was attempting to
use a Compact Flash card as a means of swapping ... not
syncing, just copying files back and forth. But I
understand that I must have a file conversion app (on the
PC?)
>-----Original Message-----
>
>
>"jbsteinb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:468d01c4a4af$538d0780$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>> This is a very basic question. I've inherited an NEC
>> MobilePro 700 running Windows CE 2.0. I'm hoping to use
>> this for note taking and some project review work.
>>
>> I need to use Word and Excel files. None of the files
will
>> be complex ... no graphs, no complicated formulae or
>> formatting. I plan to transfer files between the NEC and
>> my PC (running Windows 2000) via a Compact Flash card
>> instead of direct serial connection.
>>
>> I can get it to work with Word by using rtf files
>> (although the pocket word and windows files won't work
>> across platform) ... but I can't find anyway to read
excel
>> files between the NEC and my PC. The NEC Pocket Excel
>> files can't be read by my PC; and none of the many Excel
>> formats I've tried on the PC can be read by the NEC.
>>
>> I have no documentation with the NEC, just the unit
>> itself. Any advice on how to exchange files between the
>> NEC and my desktop?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>does your synchronising software not convert if you copy
the files over to
>your pc through it?
>
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:55:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Have you tried simply opening the files using word and excel on the pc?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:15:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23V6%23bnNpEHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Have you tried simply opening the files using word and excel on the pc?
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

It doesn't work like that unfortunately.

I don't know of any way for excel to convert the files for use, but you
could try looking on your Office install cd- there are file conversions that
are not installed with excel as standard but I'm not sure if this is one of
those types- I don't think so though. It may be worth checking the MS site
too to see if there is a file conversion utility available- I haven't come
across one. The only other thing is to install activesync (if you have the
sync cable) - the downloads are on the MS site for the latest versions. Do
you have the cable?
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:15:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> It doesn't work like that unfortunately. <<

Actually it does...

In my case, I simply copy word and excel files to a memory card from any
computer, with or without activesync installed and have yet to have a
problem opening them on any ppc.

The other direction may be more problematic depending on the application
versions installed on the desktop... some desktop versions have no
problems with files generated on ppc's.

So... it's worth trying to simply open them... select "all files" and
give it a shot.

WinCE2 was a while back, but the same "give it a try" is worth
executing... if, for no other reason, to learn.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:26:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I know that this DOES work. I used to use this technique periodically on my
old Casio E-11. What you need to do is go into Word and try File>Open> drop
down the list of file types to Pocket Word. The, locate the file. If you
just look for a word file, it does not work. Pocket Word files back then
were saved in the .pwi format. Unless you tell word to look for them, it
won't show them. Hope that helps.


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23V6%23bnNpEHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Have you tried simply opening the files using word and excel on the pc?
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:29:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

You can also try downloading it from Microsoft at www.pocketpc.com Look
under the downloads section. The current version of Activesynch is 3.7.1
This also worked with my old Casio E-11 running WindowsCE V. 2.0


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23GZ7uLLpEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Install activesync that is on the cd that should be with the device and
> check the "files" option in activesync on your desktop.
>
> It will create a folder icon on your desktop... any word or excel files
> that are then placed in that folder will be transferred to your nec the
> next sync and since ce2 required these files to be converted, the sync
> process will do that as part of the process.
>
> If you do not have the original CD (silver, no pics with "Activesync" in
> large bold) strongly suggest seeing if you can find version 3.1 or 3.5 for
> that device.
>
> Note that full outlook is also on that companion cd, but the materials
> also included (on paper) the activation code which is necessary to install
> it and have the pim contacts/calendar/notes/tasks sync capabilities.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:38:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> helps <<

yes, it does, thanks

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:47:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> 3.7.1 <<

With a WinCE 2 device, would be a little hesitant to install that first
as some of the older WinCE devices have dropped out of the .inf file
that ships with the newer activesync versions.

In my experience, it is always best (if possible) to install activesync
from the CD that shipped with the device as that assures that the inf
file is up to date, which is specifically critical for USB connects.

Once a partnership is established with the original CD, upgrades to more
recent versions are less likely to present problems.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:09:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:uRQj9MYpEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >> 3.7.1 <<
>
> With a WinCE 2 device, would be a little hesitant to install that first as
> some of the older WinCE devices have dropped out of the .inf file that
> ships with the newer activesync versions.
>
> In my experience, it is always best (if possible) to install activesync
> from the CD that shipped with the device as that assures that the inf file
> is up to date, which is specifically critical for USB connects.
>
> Once a partnership is established with the original CD, upgrades to more
> recent versions are less likely to present problems.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]


I know it's no guarantee, but AS 3.7.1 worked without problems with my
Fujitsu PenCentra 130, which is (regrettably) running CE 2.11. I had my
Axim
first, so on most devices in question (if not all), I did start with AS 3.5
and
upgrade.


TCPW
!