Windows 7 startup repair loop

ixithedoctorixi

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I am currently working on an emachines e525 (its for a friend, I would never buy an emachine) and when I got the machine it was stuck in a boot loop to the startup repair. I could not boot into windows via safe mode or any other method. I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and everything looked fine until I rebooted. The startup repair loop started again. Frustrated at this point I formated the hard drive and installed Windows XP. It was working great for a while even after I rebooted several times. I went to bed and then today turned the laptop back on and I got the unmountable_boot_volume blue screen. I think the issue is either with the hard drive or mobo. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I also have ran chkdsk multiple times and it doesnt find anything to repair. I also ran a memory test (even though I did not believe that is/was the issue and it came back with no errors.

Solution
Definitely sounds like a hard drive problem. As hang-the-9 suggested, download the Ultimate Boot CD and use some of the hard drive diagnostic tools it includes to check the drive. Running chkdsk will not check the disk at a deep enough level to provide any useful data on whether the drive is failing.
Definitely sounds like a hard drive problem. As hang-the-9 suggested, download the Ultimate Boot CD and use some of the hard drive diagnostic tools it includes to check the drive. Running chkdsk will not check the disk at a deep enough level to provide any useful data on whether the drive is failing.

Solution

The software depends on the drive vendor. If you don't see one listed for your drive, pick one that sounds generic. I don't have a system to boot right now to look at the options.

ixithedoctorixi

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
The UBCD did not recognize the hard drive. Well, it saw the C: drive but there was no size to it. I booted into Hirens Boot CD and it sees the drive fine. It is currently running HD Tune 2.55 error scan.