a1ien

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Hello everyone, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I recently built my system about a year ago and opted not to install a Floppy Drive since I didn't seem to have much use for one at the moment and I was not planning on updating the BIOS on a regular basis so I didn't see an overwhelming use to install one. However, I have been recently researching the topic of the various versions of RAID and I noticed that it is helpful (or it might require) a floppy disk to help load the drivers in the setup. Also I know that it is recommended (if not required) for flashing and updating your BIOS, I might plan on updating hdd's this summer and putting them in a RAID configuration. So my question is, should I bite the bullet and just go ahead and purchase a floppy drive, since they aren't that expensive anyways, or can I just go into the BIOS and choose to boot from one of my CD/DVD drives in the boot priority menu and not worry about it?

Thank you.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
well with a little work, you wont need to use a floppy.
if you need to install RAID, you can slipstream it into your windows CD. google it for more info.
if you need to update bios, most motherboard now allows you to update it from windows.
and if you really need a floppy, just open you case, pop a floppy from a old pc, install/grab what you need then remove the floppy. (of course you should remove and install hardware with the power off :wink: )