Audio Compression Problem

I'm having audio problems on my XP Home

To troubleshoot, I went into Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices |
Sounds Tab

When I try to play any of the Sounds, I get the following message:

"Error: Windows cannot play the <path and file> file. The file may be
damaged or may use an unrecognized compression format. To resolve this
problem, replace the file or use Add/Remove Programs in Control panel to
install Audio Compression."

In the Hardware tab, it lists Microsoft Audio Compression Manager.

Under Codecs, I have:
IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
Microsoft ADPM Audio CODEC
Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC
Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC
msg723.acm
Windows Media Audio
Indeo audio software
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
Microsoft PCM Converter

Any ideas of what is missing?

--
Thanks,
Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE

    Try reinstalling the sound chip or card drivers

    "Martin Schmid" wrote:

    > I'm having audio problems on my XP Home
    >
    > To troubleshoot, I went into Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices |
    > Sounds Tab
    >
    > When I try to play any of the Sounds, I get the following message:
    >
    > "Error: Windows cannot play the <path and file> file. The file may be
    > damaged or may use an unrecognized compression format. To resolve this
    > problem, replace the file or use Add/Remove Programs in Control panel to
    > install Audio Compression."
    >
    > In the Hardware tab, it lists Microsoft Audio Compression Manager.
    >
    > Under Codecs, I have:
    > IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
    > Microsoft ADPM Audio CODEC
    > Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC
    > Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC
    > msg723.acm
    > Windows Media Audio
    > Indeo audio software
    > Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
    > Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
    > Microsoft PCM Converter
    >
    > Any ideas of what is missing?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE

    Tried that to no avail.

    --
    "Rho_1r" <Rho_1r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try reinstalling the sound chip or card drivers
    >
    > "Martin Schmid" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having audio problems on my XP Home
    >>
    >> To troubleshoot, I went into Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices |
    >> Sounds Tab
    >>
    >> When I try to play any of the Sounds, I get the following message:
    >>
    >> "Error: Windows cannot play the <path and file> file. The file may be
    >> damaged or may use an unrecognized compression format. To resolve this
    >> problem, replace the file or use Add/Remove Programs in Control panel to
    >> install Audio Compression."
    >>
    >> In the Hardware tab, it lists Microsoft Audio Compression Manager.
    >>
    >> Under Codecs, I have:
    >> IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
    >> Microsoft ADPM Audio CODEC
    >> Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC