Sign in with
Your question

HTPC build sugggestions

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2006 8:26:12 AM

Hi when i get some extra cash together iam going to build a HTPC. i planned everything i want to add to it, i never asked for advice before and i done a lot of builds i just thought it be nice to see some feedback, see what people think.

This would be used for my living room as a dvd, hifi cd player etc etc not for intensive gaming although would be fun with a few controllers for a game when mates came around

MSI Barebone System - Mega PC 865 Pro
Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 16MB
CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz x2
Intel Pentium 521 2.8Ghz Skt 775 Fsb800
LG GSA-4167SB 16x DVD±RW
Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB DDR AGP8x (would overclock to 400Mhz)

I understand you guys have ebuyer in the states aswel for the UK it is one of the cheapest for most things dunno what the prices are like with you though
February 28, 2006 2:55:45 PM

yea sounds nice. you might want to look at Shuttel. that make similar boxes and have a good selection
February 28, 2006 3:16:22 PM

You may want to consider a case that looks more like a AV component - something like the
nMediaPC HTPC 200 That is what I will likely base my upcoming HTPC on :) 

Also - if you think you may want to use it as a DVR or MP3 player - you will want to get a larger HD.
Related resources
February 28, 2006 3:32:30 PM

You may also want to consider a Tv Tuner Card.
Powercolor makes a pcie 1x one and hauppauge has Pci and usb ones.
March 1, 2006 3:20:08 PM

I have been following the HTPC article and have been thinking about also building one since I have just recently gotten HD and am now addicted.

Do the PC Tuner Cards function as input for the cable signal? Do I still need a cable box? Can I get the HTPC to function as a cable box complete with all channels decoded much like a high end tv with a cable card?

Not to sound like an idiot but I see the signal coming in on the cable box then leading to the input for the HTPC.

Are there better inputs for a HTPC such as HDMI? At the same time is there a video card with an HDMI output?

I want to keep the incoming digital signal as true as possible all the way to the screen.

I want to see what it would take to build the highest end HTPC with money not being a problem. Then of course get cheap.
March 1, 2006 4:15:13 PM

do not use crucial ram. look at corsair, patriot, ocz.
March 5, 2006 6:36:14 PM

Crucial makes good RAM
!