HTPC build sugggestions

Hi when i get some extra cash together iam going to build a HTPC. i planned everything i want to add to it, i never asked for advice before and i done a lot of builds i just thought it be nice to see some feedback, see what people think.

This would be used for my living room as a dvd, hifi cd player etc etc not for intensive gaming although would be fun with a few controllers for a game when mates came around

MSI Barebone System - Mega PC 865 Pro
Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 16MB
CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz x2
Intel Pentium 521 2.8Ghz Skt 775 Fsb800
LG GSA-4167SB 16x DVD±RW
Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB DDR AGP8x (would overclock to 400Mhz)

I understand you guys have ebuyer in the states aswel for the UK it is one of the cheapest for most things dunno what the prices are like with you though
6 answers Last reply
More about htpc build sugggestions
  1. yea sounds nice. you might want to look at Shuttel. that make similar boxes and have a good selection
  2. You may want to consider a case that looks more like a AV component - something like the
    nMediaPC HTPC 200 That is what I will likely base my upcoming HTPC on :)

Also - if you think you may want to use it as a DVR or MP3 player - you will want to get a larger HD.
  3. You may also want to consider a Tv Tuner Card.
    Powercolor makes a pcie 1x one and hauppauge has Pci and usb ones.
  4. I have been following the HTPC article and have been thinking about also building one since I have just recently gotten HD and am now addicted.

Do the PC Tuner Cards function as input for the cable signal? Do I still need a cable box? Can I get the HTPC to function as a cable box complete with all channels decoded much like a high end tv with a cable card?

Not to sound like an idiot but I see the signal coming in on the cable box then leading to the input for the HTPC.

Are there better inputs for a HTPC such as HDMI? At the same time is there a video card with an HDMI output?

I want to keep the incoming digital signal as true as possible all the way to the screen.

I want to see what it would take to build the highest end HTPC with money not being a problem. Then of course get cheap.
  5. do not use crucial ram. look at corsair, patriot, ocz.
  6. Crucial makes good RAM
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems