FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Actually I believe there is a difference in quality for all blank media, CD, DVD included. From what I remember reading, it's not the initial burn (though sometimes it can be) that's the issue, it's the logevity of the media. Supposedly after a couple of years the cheaper stuff goes bad.

Although, a recent article implied that the useful life of burned CDs and DVDs is under ten years. I think the manufacturers tout 50 years or something but this isn't the case with burned media, so someone says.

Here is one link about it.

It may be burner dependent as well as dvd dependent. My lite-on burners seem to have better luck with Verbatim DVD+RL then they do with Ritek DVD+RL. Nero completes the burn successfully with both, but when using Nero to check for errors, the Ritek will toss a few. My older Sony (tv top) DVD player seems to handle the Verbatim easier also. It hiccups during the layer transition on the Ritek sometimes to the point where it will get stuck and I'll have to advance to the next scene to get it working again.

If anyone has a more definitive answer, I'd like to know too.

StaggerLee

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Definately go with Verbatim. I had the same question when I had high failure rates with a spindle of Maxell discs (not DL though). A couple of quick searches for things like "DVD Media Quality" or "DVD Media Comparison" gives a plethora of good results. The consensus seems to be that Verbatim is the tops. After switching, I have to say that my experience agrees.

It's a little more expensive, but worth it since you don't get nearly as many failures. And when you're talking about a $3 DL disc, you don't want any screw ups at all. I haven't had a bad burn yet with a Verbatim DL disc.

The sad part is that they are hard to find in stores, so you almost have to order on line, especially for single layer discs. You CAN find the DL discs in some stores though, if you look hard enough.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I think alot of longevity of media depends on the manufacturer and the quality of the dye they use.

For Dual Layers, I haven't seen any DVD-DL, but I've used DVD+DL. Verbatim seems to be good - I've done maybe about 9 DL discs w/ verbatim and no problems. I started to have some issues recently but that's because my burner is dying.

This typically goes for all media, CD, DVD, like a poster said before. For CD's I don't find that its a big issue, I've done a number of brands w/o any problems. For DVD's, I find that Verbatim is good. I've used some Imations that didn't last too long and gave me some coasters. I have to say, Verbatim has been the best so far for DVDs.

As for finding DVD+DL's, newegg has some for sale. I've found some in Office Depots, Frys (ew), but primarily I've found that newegg has the best price for verbatim DL's.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
yes dvd media manufacturer makes a difference. like DVD+-R the better the manufacturer the more chances you'll get a sucessful burn and the more likely the burner will support the disc. you need to keep in mind that dvd's hold around 6x more data then cd-r so the data is occupying a smaller area on the disc which requires the laser to be more sensitive.
in general i recommend Fujifilm, tdk, verbatim and sony media.
if you want to know the quality of a media, try googling it and see if anybody has any issues with them in general and with the model of burner you have

TRENDING THREADS