Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Here's my computer specifications:
-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
-MSI K8N Neo4-R motherboard
-250Gb Maxtor S-ATA HD
-XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128Mb PCI-E video card
-2 x 512Mb DDR400 memory

First question is: Anyone got troubles with NVIDIA's IDE drivers? I downloaded the latest from MSI's web site, and when I install them, my computer freeze a lot. When I use Microsoft's IDE, everything is fine...

Second question: Why do we need to put the 2 dimm memory in different color slots to get Dual Channel? I saw a couple of other motherboards where you need to put the 2 dimm in the same color slots.

Third question: I plugged my SATA HD on SATA1 port and my 2 DVD drives on IDE 1... Is it the correct way to plug?

Thanks

"First question is: Anyone got troubles with NVIDIA's IDE drivers? I downloaded the latest from MSI's web site, and when I install them, my computer freeze a lot. When I use Microsoft's IDE, everything is fine... "

SOme folks do indeed have issues with Nvidia IDE drivers...; if causing you probs...don't use 'em! :)

"Second question: Why do we need to put the 2 dimm memory in different color slots to get Dual Channel? I saw a couple of other motherboards where you need to put the 2 dimm in the same color slots. "

Each mb maker will color their DIMM slots in whatever combo of colors as they see fit....MSI uses green and purple I think

"Third question: I plugged my SATA HD on SATA1 port and my 2 DVD drives on IDE 1... Is it the correct way to plug?

It doesn't really matter....if you only have one IDE port, then you'd not really have a choice....(many mistakenly believe their throughput is increased with only one drive per IDE channel)