peter

I have altered and added to the harware on my home PC so I suppose
that the message requiring me to re-activate my XP Pro was not
altogether a surprise.

I phoned the number given and keyed in the "generated ID", 9 groups
of 6 digits! I was then given a "Confirmation ID", 7 groups of 6
digits, which I entered in the boxes on the screen. I checked them
very carefully and even captured the screen for possible future
reference. Now comes the interesting part!

The devices page accessed via Control Panel - Settings Etc is
completely blank. My PC did not even believe that I have a modem.

Ok, I have backup images - I restored one - same message re
re-activation.

Used my Boot manager to fire-up another XP Pro partiton on the same
PC. The same re-activation message appeared and the malfunction
occurred after I had obtained and keyed in a new Confirmation ID.

Please, has this happened to anyone else? How do I get out of this
hole?

At the moment I am building up a fresh XP Pro partition. I entered
the ID from the my XP Pro box to set the wheels turning. I have 28
more days before I have to activate. What is going to happen when
MS see that this number is being used again. They must have doubts
about the identity of my PC or they would not have asked me to
re-activate in the first place.

Your help, or constructive comments will be most welcome.

Thank you,

Peter

Good Morning

I read these every now and then at work. Anyways
any time you reinstall/ghost or use a backup windows is
suposed to prompt for activation (but doesnt always). As
for the activation as long as you are following the EULA
you will have no problem just call the activation provided
on step 3 of the activation window.

Tan.

Again, another bad piece of information. A ghost/imaged driver will not
require re-activation. A simple procedure of making sure that the wpa.dbl
and wpa.bak files are backed up and then restored to the appropriate folder
will insure that activation remains unchanged.

Hardware changes may or may not trigger reactivation. Three hardware
changes in a 120 day period will trigger reactivation. It is a painless
process...usually takes only a couple of minutes over the telephone. If it
has been more than 120 days since the last activation, you will be allow to
reactivate over the internet and won't have to call in.

Bobby