PCI-E NICs?

Any good PCI-E NICs out there?
10 answers Last reply
More about nics
  1. I haven't seen any and dont know why you would need one PCI is fast enough for a NIC.
  2. Quote:
    I haven't seen any and dont know why you would need one PCI is fast enough for a NIC.


    No its not, its good enough for 10/100, but not for gigabit. If you are actually on a gigabit network, you can clog the PCI bus with your network traffic.

    I haven't heard anything about it, but here is one you can look at: D-Link NIC.
  3. Hey and if you are looking to do that but also want to ugrade your mobo you should just get a new mobo with a built in gigabit networkcard, somehow mine screwed up and i had to go back to a pci 10/100 card which sucks cus i can tell the difference when i play games. ANd the onboard was 4X faster which pisses me off, i need to fix that.
  4. It's more because I'm low on space for PCI cards (or will be if I get a new GPU cooler), and have 2 PCI-E slots open doing nothing.

    I'm on a 10/100 network, and my old 3com 905C does just fine, so does my onboard, but I know that technicaly you can get better system performance from a PCI-E card, and I like having 2 NICs in the system (I've had to do internet routing before)
  5. Darn right, too bad pci-x never took off in the consumer segment.....
  6. Quote:
    i had to go back to a pci 10/100 card which sucks cus i can tell the difference when i play games.


    8O

    No game would even come close to saturating a 10Mbit link ....
    Your typical online FPS needs suprisingly little bandwidth. A stable 30-40Kb/s is usually more than enough. Lag is the big killer for online gaming.
  7. Quote:
    Hey and if you are looking to do that but also want to ugrade your mobo you should just get a new mobo with a built in gigabit networkcard, somehow mine screwed up and i had to go back to a pci 10/100 card which sucks cus i can tell the difference when i play games. ANd the onboard was 4X faster which pisses me off, i need to fix that.
    ]

    I'll assume you had a gigabit switch etc., to achieve a 'true' 1Gbps rate.

    If your nic was set up to run @ 1Gbps, and you notice a difference with a
    10/100, check to see if your nic supports jumbo frames. Jumbo frames are designed to move huge amounts of data / packet - if your nic was using that for gaming, you will notice a slight decrease.
  8. Take a look at Newegg.com, I found 3 PCI-E Gigabit cards listed
  9. My 10/100 onbord NIC sucks I get dropped connections sometimes when downloading files at high speeds on bittorrent
  10. No Intel gigabit pcie solutions yet :(
Ask a new question

Read More

NICs PCI Express Components