hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I haven't seen any and dont know why you would need one PCI is fast enough for a NIC.

No its not, its good enough for 10/100, but not for gigabit. If you are actually on a gigabit network, you can clog the PCI bus with your network traffic.

I haven't heard anything about it, but here is one you can look at: D-Link NIC.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hey and if you are looking to do that but also want to ugrade your mobo you should just get a new mobo with a built in gigabit networkcard, somehow mine screwed up and i had to go back to a pci 10/100 card which sucks cus i can tell the difference when i play games. ANd the onboard was 4X faster which pisses me off, i need to fix that.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It's more because I'm low on space for PCI cards (or will be if I get a new GPU cooler), and have 2 PCI-E slots open doing nothing.

I'm on a 10/100 network, and my old 3com 905C does just fine, so does my onboard, but I know that technicaly you can get better system performance from a PCI-E card, and I like having 2 NICs in the system (I've had to do internet routing before)

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
i had to go back to a pci 10/100 card which sucks cus i can tell the difference when i play games.

8O

No game would even come close to saturating a 10Mbit link ....
Your typical online FPS needs suprisingly little bandwidth. A stable 30-40Kb/s is usually more than enough. Lag is the big killer for online gaming.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Hey and if you are looking to do that but also want to ugrade your mobo you should just get a new mobo with a built in gigabit networkcard, somehow mine screwed up and i had to go back to a pci 10/100 card which sucks cus i can tell the difference when i play games. ANd the onboard was 4X faster which pisses me off, i need to fix that.
]

I'll assume you had a gigabit switch etc., to achieve a 'true' 1Gbps rate.

If your nic was set up to run @ 1Gbps, and you notice a difference with a
10/100, check to see if your nic supports jumbo frames. Jumbo frames are designed to move huge amounts of data / packet - if your nic was using that for gaming, you will notice a slight decrease.