Greyscale printout on ink printer gets red tone i light area

I have a question it seems that several different ink printers does with
greyscale printout.

I have a digital color picture and converts it to greyscale. I want to print
out as on screen, black and white with greyscale tones. When I print out the
picture, the light grey area gets a red/pink tone in the printout, and I
wonder why....and what I can do to correct this behaveor.

I use a Epson Stylus Photo R300 and all Epson drivers, ink and paper.

Speedy

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:46:11 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
"SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:

>I have a digital color picture and converts it to greyscale. I want to print
>out as on screen, black and white with greyscale tones. When I print out the
>picture, the light grey area gets a red/pink tone in the printout, and I
>wonder why....and what I can do to correct this behaveor.
>
>I use a Epson Stylus Photo R300 and all Epson drivers, ink and paper.

What application are you printing from, what driver settings and do you
have Color Management enable if your app and/or driver support it? If you
are using Color Management, be sure you only have it enabled in either the
driver or your app, but NOT both.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

SpeedyGonzales wrote:

> I have a question it seems that several different ink printers does with
> greyscale printout.
>
> I have a digital color picture and converts it to greyscale. I want to print
> out as on screen, black and white with greyscale tones. When I print out the
> picture, the light grey area gets a red/pink tone in the printout, and I
> wonder why....and what I can do to correct this behaveor.
>
> I use a Epson Stylus Photo R300 and all Epson drivers, ink and paper.
>
> Speedy

I remember reading about the use of special inks sets in color printers
to allow good reproduction of black and white photos and good gray scales.

Some printers make a "fake" gray by mixing CYM and slight errors in this
ink mix would give color tones.

Ordinarily, just black ink doesn't give a good gray scale for
photographs, so I have read.

Jim

Hi Ed!

I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.
I turned Color Management off in Photoshop, but same result.

Speedy

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:46:11 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
> "SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:
>
>>I have a digital color picture and converts it to greyscale. I want to
>>print
>>out as on screen, black and white with greyscale tones. When I print out
>>the
>>picture, the light grey area gets a red/pink tone in the printout, and I
>>wonder why....and what I can do to correct this behaveor.
>>
>>I use a Epson Stylus Photo R300 and all Epson drivers, ink and paper.
>
> What application are you printing from, what driver settings and do you
> have Color Management enable if your app and/or driver support it? If you
> are using Color Management, be sure you only have it enabled in either the
> driver or your app, but NOT both.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:42:35 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
"SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:

>I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.
>I turned Color Management off in Photoshop, but same result.

Have you tried converting back to an RGB before printing? I thought I saw a
post somewhere suggesting this. I'm just throwing things out here given
I've never done B&W with my 1270 or R800. In fact I'm having my own trial
with the R800 getting results I like compared to the 1270 I've used for
years.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> writes:

> SpeedyGonzales wrote:
>
>> I have a question it seems that several different ink printers does with
>> greyscale printout.
>> I have a digital color picture and converts it to greyscale. I want
>> to print
>> out as on screen, black and white with greyscale tones. When I print out the
>> picture, the light grey area gets a red/pink tone in the printout, and I
>> wonder why....and what I can do to correct this behaveor.
>> I use a Epson Stylus Photo R300 and all Epson drivers, ink and paper.
>> Speedy
>
> I remember reading about the use of special inks sets in color
> printers to allow good reproduction of black and white photos and good
> gray scales.

"Quadtone" B&W inksets (or six-tone, for six-color printers), yes.
Then you need to either play games with some of the curves (different
curves in Photoshop for different printing approaches) or use a
special plugin or RIP or something to get the right thing to happen in
printing. But they produce, at their best, really gorgeous smooth
tonality.

> Some printers make a "fake" gray by mixing CYM and slight errors in
> this ink mix would give color tones.
>
> Ordinarily, just black ink doesn't give a good gray scale for
> photographs, so I have read.

Same reason the photo printers are six-color -- the density control
(dot size control) isn't good enough to produce all the different
shades of gray needed from one black ink. Which is why the Epson 2200
has both a black and a gray ink in it, for example. (The Epson R800
may have finally taken dot size control to the point where it can get
the whole density range needed from one very dark ink, for both black
and cyan and magenta; at least the reviews suggest it, I don't own
one yet.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

In article <cq1fos$sph$1@news.tdcnorge.no>,
"SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:

> I have a question it seems that several different ink printers does with
> greyscale printout.
>
> I have a digital color picture and converts it to greyscale. I want to print
> out as on screen, black and white with greyscale tones. When I print out the
> picture, the light grey area gets a red/pink tone in the printout, and I
> wonder why....and what I can do to correct this behaveor.
>
> I use a Epson Stylus Photo R300 and all Epson drivers, ink and paper.
>
> Speedy

I had the same problem with a Canon i9100, except it had a greenish
cast. I found that by using fresh Canon inks and papers the problem
went away. Canon only sells one ink. I think Epson sells two or three.
It is possible the ink you are using isn't matched to the paper. BTW, I
found this problem was not noticeable with color prints, just B&W.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

:)

I am using new printer with new ink and printer drivers that followed the
printer and photopaper.....All Epson!!!! .....

Speedy

"Robert Peirce" <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <cq1fos$sph$1@news.tdcnorge.no>,
> "SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:
>
>> I have a question it seems that several different ink printers does with
>> greyscale printout.
>>
>> I have a digital color picture and converts it to greyscale. I want to
>> print
>> out as on screen, black and white with greyscale tones. When I print out
>> the
>> picture, the light grey area gets a red/pink tone in the printout, and I
>> wonder why....and what I can do to correct this behaveor.
>>
>> I use a Epson Stylus Photo R300 and all Epson drivers, ink and paper.
>>
>> Speedy
>
> I had the same problem with a Canon i9100, except it had a greenish
> cast. I found that by using fresh Canon inks and papers the problem
> went away. Canon only sells one ink. I think Epson sells two or three.
> It is possible the ink you are using isn't matched to the paper. BTW, I
> found this problem was not noticeable with color prints, just B&W.
>
> --
> Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
> bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
> rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

Same result...

Try on your R800...and see for yourself....

;-)

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:42:35 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
> "SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:
>
>>I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.
>>I turned Color Management off in Photoshop, but same result.
>
> Have you tried converting back to an RGB before printing? I thought I saw
> post somewhere suggesting this. I'm just throwing things out here given
> I've never done B&W with my 1270 or R800. In fact I'm having my own trial
> with the R800 getting results I like compared to the 1270 I've used for
> years.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:10:30 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
"SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:

>Try on your R800...and see for yourself....

Maybe not the R300 uses dye inks like my 1270. The R800 uses the
UltraChrome pigmented inks like the 2200. Using color management you are
using the appropriate icm for the paper correct? Before printing if you
change to cymk mode in PS, there is no cast, also correct?

At this point I'm at a loss.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

;-)

Guess what.

Suddenly a "light went on", and I took a test print.....and guess what.....
The light cyan did not work AT ALL.....I took a cleaning procedure...and I
got GREYSCALE!!

hehe...The obvious is not always what you first think of....

Problem solved!!

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:10:30 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
> "SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:
>
>>Try on your R800...and see for yourself....
>
> Maybe not the R300 uses dye inks like my 1270. The R800 uses the
> UltraChrome pigmented inks like the 2200. Using color management you are
> using the appropriate icm for the paper correct? Before printing if you
> change to cymk mode in PS, there is no cast, also correct?
>
> At this point I'm at a loss.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:30:44 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers
"SpeedyGonzales" <speedy@nowhere.fbi> wrote:

>;-)
>
>Guess what.
>
>Suddenly a "light went on", and I took a test print.....and guess what.....
>The light cyan did not work AT ALL.....I took a cleaning procedure...and I
>got GREYSCALE!!
>
>hehe...The obvious is not always what you first think of....
>
>Problem solved!!

Glad to hear it.
http://EdwardGRuf.com