Excel and the pocket pc.

September 28, 2004 2:53:01 AM

Beverly,

I have a IPAQ 3975. The unit works fine except...

When I downlo9ad an excell file that has password protection into my
IPAq I am not able to read it. I get a notification on the IPAQ that
indicates "Cannot open password protected Microsoft Excel Workbooks."

I can open the file on my desktop using excel but it seems that
Activesync can not convert the file. Is this a Microsoft glitch? And
how do get around this issue.

Thanks for your help

More about : excel pocket

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:53:02 AM

I'm not Beverly but I can answer your question for you.

It isn't a glitch but a limitation of Pocket Excel. It is not able to
understand password protected documents. Likewise, when you password
protect an Pocket Excel document and synchronize it with your Desktop, it
will loose the password protection.

SoftMaker's PlanMaker 2004 has the ability to maintain password protection
on both Pocket PC and Desktop PCs during synchronization. You can find out
more on their site at http://www.softmaker.com. You can read a review of it
at my site, http://www.clintonfitch.com under the Pocket PC Reviews button.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews

"Radman" <Radman@my.home> wrote in message
> Beverly,
>
> I have a IPAQ 3975. The unit works fine except...
>
> When I downlo9ad an excell file that has password protection into my
> IPAq I am not able to read it. I get a notification on the IPAQ that
> indicates "Cannot open password protected Microsoft Excel Workbooks."
>
> I can open the file on my desktop using excel but it seems that
> Activesync can not convert the file. Is this a Microsoft glitch? And
> how do get around this issue.
>
> Thanks for your help
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:13:35 PM

You can remove the password protection from the file and then transfer it.
The file is no longer protected on your pda though, but is useable. Your
choice in Pocket excel is no security and useable, or not useable. Apart
from using alternative programs you can consider password protecting your
ppc.

"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
message news:eniXziOpEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I'm not Beverly but I can answer your question for you.
>
> It isn't a glitch but a limitation of Pocket Excel. It is not able to
> understand password protected documents. Likewise, when you password
> protect an Pocket Excel document and synchronize it with your Desktop, it
> will loose the password protection.
>
> SoftMaker's PlanMaker 2004 has the ability to maintain password protection
> on both Pocket PC and Desktop PCs during synchronization. You can find
out
> more on their site at http://www.softmaker.com. You can read a review of
it
> at my site, http://www.clintonfitch.com under the Pocket PC Reviews
button.

> Regards,
>

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>

> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
>
> "Radman" <Radman@my.home> wrote in message
> > Beverly,
> >
> > I have a IPAQ 3975. The unit works fine except...
> >
> > When I downlo9ad an excell file that has password protection into my
> > IPAq I am not able to read it. I get a notification on the IPAQ that
> > indicates "Cannot open password protected Microsoft Excel Workbooks."
> >
> > I can open the file on my desktop using excel but it seems that
> > Activesync can not convert the file. Is this a Microsoft glitch? And
> > how do get around this issue.
> >
> > Thanks for your help

September 28, 2004 4:59:38 PM

http://www.newmediasecurity.com/
is one company that sells software to protect your ppc

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> You can remove the password protection from the file and then transfer it.
> The file is no longer protected on your pda though, but is useable. Your
> choice in Pocket excel is no security and useable, or not useable. Apart
> from using alternative programs you can consider password protecting your
> ppc.
>

> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote
in
> message news:eniXziOpEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > I'm not Beverly but I can answer your question for you.
> >
> > It isn't a glitch but a limitation of Pocket Excel. It is not able to
> > understand password protected documents. Likewise, when you password
> > protect an Pocket Excel document and synchronize it with your Desktop,
it
> > will loose the password protection.
> >
> > SoftMaker's PlanMaker 2004 has the ability to maintain password
protection
> > on both Pocket PC and Desktop PCs during synchronization. You can find
> out
> > more on their site at http://www.softmaker.com. You can read a review
of
> it
> > at my site, http://www.clintonfitch.com under the Pocket PC Reviews
> button.
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --
> > Clinton Fitch
> > Editor
> > Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> >

> > http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
> >
> > "Radman" <Radman@my.home> wrote in message
> > > Beverly,
> > >
> > > I have a IPAQ 3975. The unit works fine except...
> > >
> > > When I downlo9ad an excell file that has password protection into my
> > > IPAq I am not able to read it. I get a notification on the IPAQ that
> > > indicates "Cannot open password protected Microsoft Excel Workbooks."
> > >
> > > I can open the file on my desktop using excel but it seems that
> > > Activesync can not convert the file. Is this a Microsoft glitch? And
> > > how do get around this issue.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help

September 30, 2004 12:28:23 AM

I thank you for your direction with this problem of mine. I did
purchase the program from softmaker. the program seemed to go further
than before but still is not able to completely open the xls file. It
gets past the password issue and displays the correct tabs at the
bottom of the hopefully opoening spreadsheet then closes down and
takes me back to programs as if I had never opened it.

I have sent an e-mail to tech support at softmaker with the xls file
attached. Hopefully they can come up with some solution.

Do you have any other possible remidies?

THanks for your input...

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:21:22 -0500, "Clinton Fitch III"
<newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote:

>I'm not Beverly but I can answer your question for you.
>
>It isn't a glitch but a limitation of Pocket Excel. It is not able to
>understand password protected documents. Likewise, when you password
>protect an Pocket Excel document and synchronize it with your Desktop, it
>will loose the password protection.
>
>SoftMaker's PlanMaker 2004 has the ability to maintain password protection
>on both Pocket PC and Desktop PCs during synchronization. You can find out
>more on their site at http://www.softmaker.com. You can read a review of it
>at my site, http://www.clintonfitch.com under the Pocket PC Reviews button.
>
>Regards,
September 30, 2004 12:30:43 AM