Dual Boot Help Please

officebound

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I have a computer with two drives, both of them have a licensed version of Windows 7 installed. My problem is that the boot dirve is installed on the large hard drive (1 TB) and I need be able to boot off of my small ssd drive so that I can replace the 1 TB with a 3 TB. HOW CAN I MAKE THE SSD drive bootable with out re-installing windows and redoing all of my settings, and programs.

Solution

Thanks, I appreciate you answering. I did try that allready, and it did not work. I have now reformatted the hard drive and installed Win7 on ssd drive before hooking up the large...
Simple. Turn off the machine, open it up, remove the cables to the large hard drive. Then boot from your Win7 DVD and select to Repair an existing installation.

The process will look at the only drive on the system, see that it has Win7 but not the MBR or bootloader, and install the MBR and bootloader.

Many people prefer to do the initial Win7 install with only the SSD attached. Quite a few would choose go re-do the installation at this point, rather than use a fixed one. Either way works; the fix way omits the 100MB hidden recovery partition.

officebound

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks, I appreciate you answering. I did try that allready, and it did not work. I have now reformatted the hard drive and installed Win7 on ssd drive before hooking up the large drive. Thanks for trying. (this time I took a mirror image with the transfer tool for a clean back up with all my settings and programs).

Solution