Installing Raid 0 on a new PC

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hi,

I'm trying to install 2 HD in configuration Raid 0 and I'm having a tough time.
When I setup raid in the bios (striping mode, but I tried also mirroring) the system recognizes the two devices but I can't set the new "array" as bootable.
I'm using the Asus A8N-VM with 2 Maxtor 250GB Sata HD.

Once I setup the raid I need to re-install Windows, however I would then need some floppy with the drivers. Now, I have not used a single floppy disk in over 6 years: is it possible that I can install these drivers only through a floppy???

Do you know if I can setup the raid AFTER the OS is installed?

Thanks ...

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Windows XP uses code written for Windows 3.1 to boot! You will need to reload Windows and on the first screen press F6 to load the RAID drivers from floppy. You can only do it from a floppy, no cd or USB drive will work.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Man! I have a brand new PC, just assembled, and I can't set it up the way I want it cause I did not buy a floppy disk readed ...
I got to find that other thread where someone was complaining that too many people use pirated versions of Microsoft ...
When will they come up with a version of Window that does not cause pain to the users?

Do you know if I can modify my configuration onto Raid 0 without re-installing?
In principle raid 0 combines the two drives, so there shouldn't really be the need to re-install everything ...

Thanks ...

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Yes, you can set them up in RAID 0 without reformatting. Just set them up in the bios and make sure the drive with XP is the boot drive. You can then assign a drive letter to it in XP.

There is a long, drawn out way to burn a XP disc with the RAID drivers on it but I don't recall the link and it's not a simple process.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmm.. you thinking BartPE?

That would be one alternative. Though I haven't used it, or had to redo my system ever since I built it back in.. 2002-03? heh.

Also with BartPE you can stream SP2 with it. Though, you would need a system that is running to make the CD.. :lol:

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
One thing you could do is just "borrow" a friends floppy and install raid 0 using the drivers. Its wayyyy too complicated to do without the floppy. Thats just me though

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Bart's PE is some good stuff but I haven't used it recently. I saw an article a while ago in regards to making a XP disc with RAID drivers. There were a ton of edits in some text and cab files you needed to make. Some specific settings and string names in the files you had to figure out from somewhere. No easy task!

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
One thing you could do is just "borrow" a friends floppy and install raid 0 using the drivers. Its wayyyy too complicated to do without the floppy. Thats just me though

Sounds good to me. Or, if there's a shop that sells used equipment in your area, you could just buy one and only use it when you need it.

If you're using the nvidia raid, you can create a slipstream cd with the necessary drivers using NLite. The instructions for it are here. Just download the drivers from Nvidia and in 10-15 minutes you can have a workable CD. If your windows CD doesn't have SP2, you can slipstream that into also since it is needed for SCSI (SATA) devices. It worked flawlessly for me. I also included the entire NVidia chipset drivers raid/sata/smbus/networking, etc except for the nvidia IDE drivers as they sometimes cause problems.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well, thanks, I got a lot of good suggestions.
I think I'll just buy the floppy: you never know what else could come up later.
It's more the hassle than anything: a floppy drive costs less than $8 on newegg ...

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS