First Solo Build...need help

BRISKbaby

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Updating computer!! Giving the old one to my fiance and i'm looking to spend some of my summer intership money on a computer (and alchy... but mostly computer). Need help picking out parts as this is my first solo build.

Things I use the Computer for:
I do a lot of word processing, number crunching (mathematica), computer simulations, and picture/video editing plus listening to music and killing the occasional alien and general baddies (gaming).

My budget: 1500-2500 (USD) willing to negotiate (smaller is better)

My wants:
Dual Core AMD processor
water cooling?
Lots of HD space
I also need a new monitor
Nice and big case (i have big hands need to be able to work in there without cutting myself everytime i open the case)

I have some stuff left over from my last computer so this should make getting under the budget a LOT easier.
6800GS (possible SLI)
Thermaltake TR2 W0070 430W Power Supply - Retail
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - OEM (on a side note, how do i update the firmware for an OEM product on the NEC website it says that it does not support OEM firmware updates)

Thanks for your help!

eviltechie

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I'll recommend getting one or more (depending on budget) Western Digital Raptor hard drives. I just put one in a new system and it's niiice! If you just get one, use it to run the OS from.

For massive storage and reliability, RAID 5 is a good choice. However, RAID 01 or 10 will give slightly better performance at a higher price.

You can get 400GB drives for $200 or less.

BRISKbaby

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thank you. Which dual core do you think I should get? Also, which water-cooling kit is easy to install and efficient?If it's water cooled I'll definitely overclock the system. So if it's watercooled I'll need a bigger case, so which cases are good for watercooling?

Thanks!

eviltechie

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I'm not a real expert on CPUs, but I purchased an Athlon 64 X2 3800+. For my situation it was the best mix of power, price, and overclockability.

I don't really know anything useful about water-cooling, sorry.

a1ien

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
If you're looking for budget, I would suggest going with the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Here's a review from Tom's about it and it's overclockability.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/08/01/dual/

I would go with 2GB (2x1GB) Dual Channel RAM, preferably from Corsair, Mushkin, or OCZ.