My Dead PSU is DEAD...??

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I got an aspire PSU 550W and I think is dead.. 8O
When I try to power up the system, it gote power for like a half second and then nothing.
I try another PSU to make sure the problem is from the motherboard or enything else and it worked.
Any suggestions if its possible to fix that unit? or I should harvest whatever I can from it ( like a nice 12" fan) and trash it?

BTW that PSU was powering..
2x74GB raptors
2x250GB maxtors
2x40GB maxtors
2x NEC DVDBurners
3x12" fans
1x8" fan
Presscot 3.2Ghz & 3.5Ghz
6800GT @ Ultra speeds
and Thermltake bigwater cooling unit, powered by PSU
(I think I was lucky havving that PSU for 14 months and not 4 weeks)

Thank you

mr_hayt

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Thats alot of stuff you have running off of a powersupply. For that much power, i would go with a seasonic 600 watt. Anywho, deff sounds like a dead PSU

Silverdagger

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
You may want to try testing the PSU with a digital multimeter or power supply tester. Digital Multimeters sell for anywhere between $10-50US and require a bit of technical know-how. The power supply tester costs between $10-13US and is very easy to use, but not very informative. However, in your siduation, either will tell you what you want to know ... if the psu is dead.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Hey there is always the brand new $450 1000 watt PSU, now thats what i want, gunna build a server and use it, hehe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PIMP PSU, peaks at 1100 WATTS, :)

This will satisfy anyones power cravings.

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
:) thanks for your replys fellas.
I think more than $200 for PSU are alot. I guess its time to take out my
2x 40gb, and one 60GB HD out. Now I am lookin for 600 - 650 watts PSU.
And hell yea 1000W are awsome but having a pc 24/7 on, will be painfully costly 8)

mr_hayt

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Just a friendly word of advice, the PSU is one of the most important components in your box, if you dont get a good one, your gonna end up with a unstable system. SEASONIC! SEASONIC!

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
shieeeeeeeett ..thats a lot of power hungry components you got in there ..try to disconnect some of them that you do not need for the moment ...use only one hdd to boot for example and try again......indeed the power unit is one of the most important you have in the sistem..you should go for enermax, termaltek or hiper (uk)

If that is a new build, then it could be shorting between mobo and case. You're load is around 400W continuous load with all of those drives. The first thing I would do is figure out if that 550W PSU is rated at max or continuous. If max, then you more than likely are overloading the PSU. If that is the case, then I would remove a few drives and see if that resolves the issue. Try that and let us know the results....

Edit: Another option...If that is a ATX12V v2.0 or later, then you can try swapping drives to the second 12V rail - distribute the load. If you have the majority of those drives on one rail, then you've probably bogged one rail down...