active sync takes long time to show machines connected

September 28, 2004 11:05:52 AM

Using HP5550 active sync 3.7.1 and sync manager to allow sync with 3
machines via USB, I find that the connection to the PC takes ages sometimes
, about 10mins after to connecting to the PC before the tray icon turns
green to signify that syncing is taking place.When it connects, then the
sync is completed very rapidly . IF I didn't know this, I would be cradling
and uncradling the PPC and rebooting PC etc . What could be the cause of
this?
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:28:19 PM

Sounds like maybe ActiveSync is not getting enough CPU cycles. Do you have
some process running on the PPC or your workstation that is extremely CPU
intensive? Maybe you recently installed something? Is the rest of the
system running okay?

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
An ISO 9001:2000 Registered Company
Microsoft WEP Gold-level Member

Do have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Windows Mobile and
Embedded newsgroups? Let us know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroup...
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 12:34:35 AM

"Bruce Eitman (eMVP)" <beitmannospam@NOSPAM_applieddata.NOSPAM_net> wrote in
message news:uCRKG8VpEHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Sounds like maybe ActiveSync is not getting enough CPU cycles. Do you
have
> some process running on the PPC or your workstation that is extremely CPU
> intensive? Maybe you recently installed something? Is the rest of the
> system running okay?

well it happens on each connection so that rules out a special process on a
PC. Nothing special running on the PPC that I can think of .
-keevill-
September 29, 2004 12:34:36 AM

"-keevill-" <keevillus@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bruce Eitman (eMVP)" <beitmannospam@NOSPAM_applieddata.NOSPAM_net> wrote
in
> message news:uCRKG8VpEHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Sounds like maybe ActiveSync is not getting enough CPU cycles. Do you
> have
> > some process running on the PPC or your workstation that is extremely
CPU
> > intensive? Maybe you recently installed something? Is the rest of the
> > system running okay?
>
> well it happens on each connection so that rules out a special process on
> PC. Nothing special running on the PPC that I can think of .
> -keevill-

Do you have System Monitor installed on your PC? You can check CPU usage
with it, or something like Taskinfo.
However my cpu is always at approaching 100% usage (a Distributed Computing
Project) and I have no issues even on an old(ish) Pentium 3 550 MHz machine
while running one of these programs.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:37:28 AM

> Do you have System Monitor installed on your PC? You can check CPU usage
> with it, or something like Taskinfo.
> However my cpu is always at approaching 100% usage (a Distributed
Computing
> Project) and I have no issues even on an old(ish) Pentium 3 550 MHz
machine
> while running one of these programs.

Actually, there is no activity on PC or on PPC for about 10 mins after
docking. Then the cpu of PC starts to work as you say but this is quite
normal and has always been like this since the first time I used the PPC in
activesync. However it's the initial waiting period for anything to happen
which is the real question I am asking. I am thinking it could be the sync
manager application as I am currently syncing over 4 PCs and perhaps that I
should ask the application developer.Thx.
-keevill-
!