so how to get to DOS 6.0?

G

I need to flash my BIOS and what I have to do is format a floppy in DOS mode (I have ASUS A7V and it says DOS should be 6.0 version, but REAL CLEAR DOS), how can I boot in DOS mode with a clean floppy? I still don't get how to flash BIOSes. If anybody can go to www.asus.com.tw and then find their HOW TO FLASH thingy and rexplain me how to?? it says I shouldn't do it with WinME and that is what I HAVE!

FatBurger

Illustrious
You shouldn't have to format a floppy from in DOS. Just format it with the FAT file system, and it should work.
To boot into DOS, you'll need a Win98 startup disk, or something else that'll do the same thing.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

sorry for calling you that way, but it was a bad joke (remeber the other post), I don't understand one thing, how come you answer all my questions first or most of them? I mean do you ever go offline? It is not bad at all that you answer them, I'm jut curious. About FAT, it said DO NOT FORMAT FLOOPY INDER WINME (that is what I have)...

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Win Me does not let you format a floppy with the /s switch (/s meaning system, basically gives you a bootable DOS disk).

Can't even do it from a windows dos prompt.

You can create a startup disk, Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs

Click the 'startup disk' tab.

Reboot from the floppy and select '4. Minimum system' (or something like that).

This will boot to a DOS prompt, without loading any mem managers or Windows crap which prevents your BIOS flash prog accessing the hardware directly.

The only prob with an Me startup disk, it virtually fills the disk, leaving little space for the flash prog and ROM image.

Delete stuff. EBD.CAB is a good start, it's big and you don't need it.

Don't worry about needing DOS 6, Win Me runs over DOS 7 but as long as you boot to a real DOS prompt, it'll be fine.

(Alternatively, format a floppy with the /s switch from a DOS or Win 95/98 computer and boot from that, much simpler).

Win Me sucks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hammerhead on 06/30/01 11:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

WinME doesn't suck at all, and I have Windows 95 on my old pc, can try doing that.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Ask yourself this.

Why do you have to go through all this hassle to get a simple DOS boot floppy on a DOS based O/S?

Win Me does suck. Access to real DOS is the best (and often the only) way to accomplish tasks such as BIOS flashing.

Any decent O/S would make this easy.