anyone with a clawhammer cpu...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive got a socket 754 3700+ clawhammer... on a thermaltake silent boost with artic silver in a thermaltake tsunami dream case with 2 120mm fans @ 100cfm... my idle temps are 48 and full load is about 65... im wondering what other people are getting for temps... and suggestions on cooling it better, i was considering a zalman heatsink, that huge ass copper one, but i fear that my crappy chaintech mobo which was free with the processor might not be able to handle the weight, which is why i got the silent boost... the noise isnt really an issue since the 100cfm fans are at like 40+ db... video card idle temp is 34 so i know that there is plenty of airflow. would the zalman heatsink lower my temps by a lot, like at least 10C? im hoping to get into 30's idle so i can overclock...

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got a Clawhammer at 2.2 GHz. with just the stock cooler and it runs in the low 50's under load. Your temps sound a bit higher than they should be with that cooler. Have you updated your BIOS?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ill look for newer updates but i did update them not to long ago, right now my cpu is idleing at 46/47 C while my room temp is about 5C, im shivering in a T shirt right now, my HD temp is 19 C! and chipset temp is 21! so i dont get how while all my other temps dropped by almost half of normal with a freezing room that the cpu temps maintains a temp close to 50, even a prescott doesnt stay that hot in freezing temps.. but anyways, ill look for bios updates and get back to u