3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hello all,

I bought a DFI Lan Party UT NF4 Ultra mobo knowing that DFI's run somewhat more hot than the rest of the croud, but I was not sure how hot it was going to be. I recieved the mobo and it works great, but the temps are beginning to make me worry...I have it in a not cold, but also not warm room and it is in open air cooling (as in; both side panels are off) and it is posting temps of 42 - 45 degrees C when idol and 48 - 52 degrees C underload. It even hit a peak temp of 55 degrees C during Rainbow Six: lockdown, any input on this issue would be great, i. e. is it to hot / if so what can i do to lower it.

note: i have tested while OC'ing and not OC'ing and the temps are similar...maybe 1 degree C difference.

Thx for the help!

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
DFI Lan Party UT NF4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy @ 2.8ghz (10x280) - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance mem (2-3-2-5)
ATI Original X1800XL - "Arctic Accelro X2"
Creative XF-I
(2x120gb WD SATA II HD's) - Raid 0

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Motherboards themselves can take good heat. However, is the 55c you are referring to the system idle temperature on CPU, or ambient temperature or chipset temperature?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Yes, the temp I am referring to is the System temp, which to my understanding is more motherboard than anything so that is why I posted that. As for the 55 Degrees C, that was a one time thing that i hit and it was the motherboard (system temp reading that is) my proc actually doesnt seem to go over 48 during load and goes down right when i exit a game...i believe the max that i have ever seen on the proc is 50, but that was after near 2 days of stress testing.

Thx for the input guys!

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
DFI Lan Party UT NF4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy @ 2.8ghz (10x280) - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance mem (2-3-2-5)
ATI Original X1800XL - "Arctic Accelro X2"
Creative XF-I
(2x120gb WD SATA II HD's) - Raid 0

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
its your northbridge chipset. they run hot, I helped it out by takeing off the chipset fan ( careful don't mess up those plastic hold downs) removeing the so called thermal grease and applying artic silver 5 and reinstalling the fan. At idle in a 68F room i get 38 to 40c, during gameing about 45 to 48c which is normal on a OC system ( 2.6 ). But really depends on your room temp
I also got real good airflow through my case, I see that you have both side panels off. I wouldn't really worry too much, till you hit 65c then I would worry.

Try to get better airflow through the case and keep the room if can around the mid to upper 60's ( F ) and replace the thermal grease, maybe get a better chipset fan.

go to DFI-street.com for more info on your mobo, very helpful people and the fourm is ran by DFI techs and engineers!!

good luck