Late retraction

Paid a visit to my local airport today-watched a Boeing 777 take off and was
intrigued to see that the wheels were not retracted until VERY late after
take off-so late in fact that it was almost a speck in the distance and I
still saw them dangling! It didn't return to the field, so I assume they
didn't have a major problem but I'm intrigued as to why it happened. My
first thought was that maybe they forgot(!).
I've actually noticed this happen a few times before over the years, (once
to a 747) not many, but a couple.
Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe full size pilots have an explanation???
TIA
Greg
8 answers Last reply
More about late retraction

    I suspect they forgot until they noticed, "...geesh! ...This thing seems
    awful slow today!,...how many fat guys did we load on here?"

    --

    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    "CanOfWorms" <spiro@email.com> wrote in message
    > Paid a visit to my local airport today-watched a Boeing 777 take off and
    was
    > intrigued to see that the wheels were not retracted until VERY late after
    > take off-so late in fact that it was almost a speck in the distance and I
    > still saw them dangling! It didn't return to the field, so I assume they
    > didn't have a major problem but I'm intrigued as to why it happened. My
    > first thought was that maybe they forgot(!).
    > I've actually noticed this happen a few times before over the years, (once
    > to a 747) not many, but a couple.
    > Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe full size pilots have an explanation???
    > TIA
    > Greg

    Id be willing to bet it was a brain fart.

    I was riding in the back seat one day and heard the co-pilot call 500ft
    before initial level off at 4000ft and I hadn't heard mention of wheels
    up...so I kinda choughed while saying "takeoff checklist"...the co-pilot
    caught on and right away said "OK! Wheels UP..."

    Needless to say I spent the rest of the flight paying very close attention
    to what was going on.

    Damian

    "CanOfWorms" <spiro@email.com> wrote in message
    > Paid a visit to my local airport today-watched a Boeing 777 take off and
    > was
    > intrigued to see that the wheels were not retracted until VERY late after
    > take off-so late in fact that it was almost a speck in the distance and I
    > still saw them dangling! It didn't return to the field, so I assume they
    > didn't have a major problem but I'm intrigued as to why it happened. My
    > first thought was that maybe they forgot(!).
    > I've actually noticed this happen a few times before over the years, (once
    > to a 747) not many, but a couple.
    > Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe full size pilots have an explanation???
    > TIA
    > Greg

    Not sure about the Triple7, but the 757 doesnt retract its gear for about 3
    minutes after TO due to centrifugal force on the wheels.

    Dan

    Inasmuch as I realize we're all human and can make mistakes, the concept
    that the crew of a Boeing 777 can make a "brain fart" by not retracting the
    gear, is crazy. We're talking about a HUGE aircraft with systems beyond
    belief which I'm sure, include warning sounds, auto functions and a host of
    other gadgets to act even if the crew has any kind of fart.

    That being said, I agree with many of the other explanations offered
    regarding cooling of the wheels before retraction.

    Arthur

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:10:11 +0100, "CanOfWorms" <spiro@email.com>
    wrote:

    >Paid a visit to my local airport today-watched a Boeing 777 take off and was
    >intrigued to see that the wheels were not retracted until VERY late after
    >take off-so late in fact that it was almost a speck in the distance and I
    >still saw them dangling! It didn't return to the field, so I assume they
    >didn't have a major problem but I'm intrigued as to why it happened. My
    >first thought was that maybe they forgot(!).
    >I've actually noticed this happen a few times before over the years, (once
    >to a 747) not many, but a couple.
    >Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe full size pilots have an explanation???
    >TIA
    >Greg

    Aircraft brakes can get very hot in use and if they had not cooled to
    an appropriate tempoerature by takeoff, the pilot would need to leave
    the wheels down to cool the brakes. IIRC, a 747 driver in another
    newsgroup wrote that if a large aircraft departs less than about 30
    minutes after landing, the brakes would still be to hot to be stowed
    and such a cooling procedure would be required.

    > Aircraft brakes can get very hot in use .......

    Hot and redhot.
    The Noratlas2501 was a military transport 40 jears ago. Max takeoff weight
    ca 22 tons.
    A little smaler appearance than USAF c-17
    One had free view onto the brake disks.
    During sustained taxiing by night one could see the disks glowing red,
    sometimes little more than dark red.
    Some more sophisticated a/c even have a 'V max brake'.
    Günter

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Inasmuch as I realize we're all human and can make mistakes, the concept
    > that the crew of a Boeing 777 can make a "brain fart" by not retracting
    > the gear, is crazy.

    Well I would rather they forgot to raise the gear after take-off than lower
    it on landing!!
    Isn't this why they have checklists though!

    Chris

    "Dan" <dan.king2_nospam_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > "CanOfWorms" <spiro@email.com> wrote in message
    > > Paid a visit to my local airport today-watched a Boeing 777 take off and
    > > was
    > > intrigued to see that the wheels were not retracted until VERY late
    after
    > > take off-so late in fact that it was almost a speck in the distance and
    > > still saw them dangling! It didn't return to the field, so I assume they
    > > didn't have a major problem but I'm intrigued as to why it happened. My
    > > first thought was that maybe they forgot(!).
    > > I've actually noticed this happen a few times before over the years,
    (once
    > > to a 747) not many, but a couple.
    > > Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe full size pilots have an explanation???
    > > TIA
    > > Greg
    > >

    > Not sure about the Triple7, but the 757 doesnt retract its gear for about
    3
    > minutes after TO due to centrifugal force on the wheels.
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > P3 Orions have "In Flight Braking" The brakes are applied automatically on
    selection of the undercarriage to up. The In Flight Brake system receives
    hydraulic pressure from the up side of the undercarriage selector valve. Its
    primary purpose is to prevent a blown tyre from beating the wheel well to
    death, gyroscopic affect is minimal as aircraft hold runway heading until
    500ft so the wheels have stopped spinning by that stage.

    Scet

Games Microsoft Video Games